Sunday 16 April 2023

The sad truth of growing up


I know this will come to no surprise, but I think we live life wrong. As kids the world is full of endless possibility and the smallest new thing is exciting. Even hearing that ice cream van in the distance would fill you with joy. Maybe it would come to your street? Maybe, for once, your mum would let you get an ice cream? (We were rarely allowed one because they were too expensive and without fail, I'd get so excited and run and ask Mum for money, ever hopeful. If itwas a no, I'd watch the an from the window until it drove out of view and the music grew faint, thinking 'Next time...'). Then we get older and have to decide what we do, like a singular enterprise is the goal - not be open to adventure, settle down in a job with responsibilites. Then act our age...oh, is there ever worse life advice? 

It's no secret I struggle with age. Not being old (except the physical decline) but that it gets harder to find people to have fun with. The gulf in our ideas of fun gets bigger and wider. I don't need to fit in, but I still want to do the thing. A friend recently changed venues because "It's more our kind of thing" and I thought "Is it?" I was disappointed we were no longer going to the buzzy bar, but I also wondered what we were that made the other place more suitable?

I got tired of missing out so now I just do the thing by myself if no one else will come. At first I was quite self conscious but now I have it down to an art. I have noticed though, through the Wednesday Club, that I am getting a few more partners in crime for these whimsical escapades, so I know I'm not alone....

I've always been a fan of Alice, since as long as I can remember, so any chance to run down the rabbit hole I'm quick to jump on. I also love magicians. I love that rush as you watch the impossible happen. 


In lockdown, I started to see some magic out in the streets on my walks - it was strange what I tapped into. I seem to have lost the ability again a little, though Rone tapped into it a little. While already on a high at Palm tree festival, I got a giddy rush of delight when Tiesto played White Lotus - it was so unexpected and I squealed involunarily when I recognised what it was. These are the moments to treasure in life. These fleeting feelings that rip through you, busting joyously from somewhere within and take over your whole body - exploding in a smile that shines in your eyes and huurts your cheeks, that rushes though your chest and pumps your heart a little faster and at times extends to a clap because your hands join in before your brain has time to tell them not to make a noise.



Funnily enough, in lockdown Dispatches from Elsewhere really set that ablaze in me, a need to seek out the whimsy woven into every day life. As did my excitement and joy exploring the Prism. It was igniting something in my headspace, when nothing else was changing externally. It opened up a broad horizon while the real world I lived in got smaller. The Elves in the Eurovision movie, the delight of finding a Mows in the wild or a Boy under the Bridge in an alley. As we get more back to 'normal', I don't want to lose it. 

It's one of the best parts of being alive and it's usually free. It's an internal thing, it comes from you, from how you view the world. It's you insisting on seeing the magic, however small, and discovering that can infiltrate your life. 

 “You must not ever stop being whimsical. And you must not, ever, give anyone else the responsibility for your life.”

― Mary Oliver

(No surprises I dragged everyone here to get a coffee from the bear in the wall in Harajuku) 

Linking with #WeekedCoffeeShare  #TellUsAbout...#FriendshipFriday  #AwwMondays, because all the pics made me go Aww in different ways!


My Random Musings

13 comments:

  1. I often think that it would be wonderful if we could somehow have our children back to being small and innocent for a while and then let them go back to adults#dreamteam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband really misses the small children.

      Delete
  2. For me it's not just about the whimsy but finding more things to be curious about - and following that curiosity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lydia - I always admire how proactive you are about getting out and about and doing new things. I loved your "need to seek out the whimsy woven into every day life" - it's something we all need to do more of.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lydia I love your attitude and actually 'whimsy' is a prompt for the Tell Us About... link up which I've just discovered through Deb's World. My grandchildren keep me from getting to 'beige'. I love their attitude to life and that they think their 'Nan' can do all the things they do. Keep being an inspiration to us, Lydia. #WWandP

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I wrote this for that post. It was quite a tricky prompt I thought, But they're the best kind, really! The ones where you don't know where to go with them....

      Delete
  5. You've absolutely nailed it Lydia with this paragraph: 'These fleeting feelings that rip through you, busting joyously from somewhere within and take over your whole body - exploding in a smile that shines in your eyes and huurts your cheeks, that rushes though your chest and pumps your heart a little faster and at times extends to a clap because your hands join in before your brain has time to tell them not to make a noise.' So perfectly well said!
    It's so good to have you write your post for our Tell us About prompt. and I agree with your comment to Sue, the trickier prompts make it more interesting! Thanks for joining in and we will have the next month's prompt coming out soon. I'm enjoying being involved and seeing everyone's different takes on the same word. You and I are on the same page :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now I know why I have been reading about 'whimsy' in a few places...you are following the link up with a prompt. I am far too practical and on task right now for much whimsy but I long for more me time to find out ...and that is coming! So good to read your post and see it in the link up for Wednesday’s Words and Pics. Thank you! Hope to see you next week too. Denyse.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It was the snow cone truck as I grew up. I've noticed too, as I age gracefully, it's harder to find that whimsy of interesting, exciting & fun things to do. Karen #Weekendcoffeeshare

    ReplyDelete
  8. This had me grinning from ear to ear! It's exactly like that isn't it. Don't be in a hurry to grow up... no matter how old you are. So glad that you are able to follow your heart on places to explore and things to indulge in. Thank you for joining us for the #DreamTeam xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Excellent post!

    “Why can't you fly now, mother?” “Because I am grown up, dearest. When people grow up they forget the way.”

    Jane and Wendy, Peter Pan, by J.M. Barrie

    ReplyDelete
  10. There was a programme about 20 years ago where a man said yes to everything that wasn't dangerous or illegal. It opened my eyes to the oppportunities we turn down out of fear or lethargy. I am making more of an effort ot leave my comfort zone! Thanks for linking up with #DreamTeam

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm 71 and I'm about 19 in my head. Having fun is a good thing and I don't think age appropriate should be in the mix. Love this post. I'm with you.

    Thank you for joining the Awww Mondays Blog Hop.

    Have a fabulous day and week, Lydia. ♥

    ReplyDelete