Wednesday 19 July 2023

What's on your bookshelf - July

 I am currently reading The Testaments - which is a follow on, sort of sequal to The Handmaid's Tale but it's more based on the tv series, rather than where the original book ends. I'm enjoying it, but a number of friends told me they didn't think it was any good so my expectations weren't high going in. I'm engaged in the story. There's been a few line that made me take pause and think (I've unfortunately forgotten what they were. I really need to write them down!! ) So if you liked the first book or the TV show, I'd say it's worth a read....I am only half way through though, so if it all crumbles apart, I've yet to reach that. I am enjoying the inner voice of Aunt Lydia (the story is alternative voices of women and girls).





The Girl in the Pink Dress. We did this for bookclub and I never would have found it but I did enjoy it. It's a short story that's been expanded to a book. While the story is not anything new, it's set in the art world and that really gives an interesting texture and informative back drop to the story. I felt like I was peering into a different world. I also learnt a bit about what goes one behind the painting, so to speak. At least in a way I hadn't thought about properly, even knowing the stories behind the art. So I would recommend if you have a vague interest in art as it gives you another pespective on it, while being a story about relationships.

Been a bit slow on the reading this month. I really need to get my focus back....

What have you been reading?



Linking with #Dreamteam #MonthlyBookworm #TrafficJamReboot #WOYBS

loopyloulaura






12 comments:

  1. Thank you for the look at your reading! Aloha

    ReplyDelete
  2. These do look like some great fiction. I would definitely like to find the last one you mentioned. It seems Lucy Score and Hoover are in a race this summer at our library, but at the moment it feels many are wanning from Hoover and picking up Score's books. Thanks for the post! All the best to your reading list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, the clouds do resemble smoke, but obviously not coming from a source on the ground. We are having amber sunsets due to smoke from the multiple forest fires in Canada. The smoke is diffuse rather than in clouds.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lydia, I always enjoy your recommendations as you are usually reading books that I've not heard of. I think I must be the only one who hasn't read or seen The Handmaid's Tale perhaps I should start. Thanks for joining us for #WOYBS and happy reading for August. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I must be the only person on earth who has neither read nor watched The Handmaid's Tale. Girl in a Pink Dress sounds interesting... Thanks for linking up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I watched the original Handmaid's Tale (Robert Duval, Faye Dunaway) but have not read or watched further.
      Thank you for sharing this with us, Ali. My apologies for my late comment. I've been travelling.

      Delete
  6. I've read a lot of Margaret Atwood, but for some reason I've never read The Handmaid's Tale (or The Testaments). I haven't watched them on TV either! One day I will have to read it. Girl in a Pink Dress sounds interesting.
    Popping over from Book Worms Monthly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd read a few Atwood's and never really liked them. Then I read Handmaids Tale and loved it. I do watch the TV show but I think it's sort ofdiluted from the first book. Testaments is similar to the TV show. The handmaid's Tale is a great, tho not easy book.

      Delete
  7. I just ordered Handmaids Tale on the recommendation of others and I'll keep the 2nd book in mind if I really like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It doesn't pack the same punch as the Handmaids Tale. I think becasue we know all about it now, sort of dilutes it.

      Delete
  8. Great selection of books on your shelf#dreamteam

    ReplyDelete
  9. The second book has a great cover. I haven't read The Handmaid's Tale, but I love the series on television. I'm reading Remarkably Bright Creatures, among others.

    ReplyDelete