Saturday 27 July 2024

July Reading


I'll be honest, I've really struggled to read this month so I've gone back to Graphic novels as I like to when I'm not focusing well on reading. Just too much going on and my head is all over the place. 



I read the 2 Snowpiercer prequels. I actually found them interesting and I do hope the last one comes out. It's that look at human nature when facing unavoidable destruction (and what people do to survive, and the ego at play with power).














I'm now working my way through the Snowpiercer series, which is what inspired the movie (and later very loosely the tv series). I thought I would like them more, though the first one has an interesting take at the end. About to start the second book.

We watched the movie because of Mads Mikkelsen and the whole vibe screamed Comic, but when the eye patch got involved, I know it was - what is it with eye patches in GN? Anyway, they're ok. A little sexist to me but still curious enough to get to the end - helped by the fact they are free on Hoopla (borrowing app) so I can read them fro free and on my phone, while waiting around.

This is a book club pick. I've never read a Reilly but I've seen his rise. He's an Australian author and I remember when his first book came out. He is now a prolific, best selling global author and writes for adults and kids. Most importantly for the self published authors, he self published his first book with a run of 1000 and has since sold 7.5 million books in his career.

I like the story in this title (the historic setting - the end of WW1 and the rise of the Nazi's and WWII but mirrored with what went on in America with the prohibition, market crash and rise of the Klan).

It's a female view point which is interesting though not always believable. I think a lot of the characters talk in cliches but then there are moments that fully suprise me or in one incident, poigniant and devastating. 

I don't know if it's a must read, and it's not great literature but I'm finding the interesting history and the story engaging enough to enjoy it.




The Coconut Children
was a book club pick. I just couldn't get into it but to be fair I suspect that was more me than anything, as I can't really explain why. Looking forward to hearing the group's thoughts.

Before we say goodbye
I read this straight after the first one and that was a mistake as it just felt too formulaic and a 'sameness' in each story. So I'm giving them a break and will return with the next book soon. I feel that was an unfair reflection and I would have enjoyed this book a lot more if I had read a few other things in between, as this book focuses on loss and memory, two themes that I love to explore.





What have you read this month?



Linking with #TrafficJamReboot #AnythingGoes #MonthlyWrapUp #MonthlyBookworms #ShareYourShelf 

13 comments:

  1. I was wondering about "Before we say goodbye" so good to see your comments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting selection of books! Take care, have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the warning about the “cold coffee” sequel. I often find that one good idea is only enough for one good book, and that sequels don’t live up to their models.
    best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel like my reading wasn't as great this month either. I did not read as much as I wanted to. I hope you have a great rest of your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I almost never read sequels; sequels generally disappoint me, for one reason or another.

    It's a good idea to have a fall-back genre in hand when life gets crazy and we can't read.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice looking bunch of graphic novels. I'm glad you are finding books you enjoy. Come see my week here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice to have graphic novels - I am not a good reader of them - yet I have a great nephew who avidly reads them and examines every graphic. It's a skill I think.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aimz, not sure where your comment went. I loved the movie but interest came and went while watching the series...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never really gotten into graphic novels though I have read a few because my boys love them! I can see how they would be a great break when you find you can't focus on reading novels.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never read any graphic novels, but it seems a good idea if you need a break from reading. I've never heard of Matthew Reilly, which is surprising as you say he is internationally known.
    I'm not a member of a book club, but I always think it must be challenging when you have to read a book you're not keen on!

    ReplyDelete
  11. i did not realize that Snowpiercer show was based on a graphic novel! I will check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I haven't watched snow piercer, I may be tempted by the graphic novels. I've read a few but I find the story a little slow moving. I get challenged sometimes by my book club, but it's good to read something you wouldn't normally read. I found I was one of the few to not enjoy the last book we read.

    ReplyDelete