Wednesday 16 November 2016

Advent - Christmas Link Up

We all know what an Advent calendar is, but do we know what Advent is?

'Today, the Advent season lasts for four Sundays leading up to Christmas. At that time, the new Christian year begins with the twelve-day celebration of Christmastide, which lasts from Christmas Eve until Epiphany on January 6. (Advent begins on the Sunday that falls between November 27th and December 3rd each year.) ' (from this website)

A brief chronology from this site tells us that the first known Advent calendar is recorded in 1851, so they aren't a new thing. At the beginning of the 20th century  Gerhard Lang produced the first Advent Calendars with little doors to open, previously they'd been crossing off or adding pictures or candles. Advent Calendars filled with Chocolate were already available in 1958. Who knew? When I was a kid we only got the picture one - and only once and then used it each year, carefully shutting back the flaps and putting it away until the next year.







I have gone to ebay for pokemon lego to fill an Ikea reusable one, and the girls are getting make up ones for a bit of fun.
















As a treat for myself, I got the L'Occitaine one ...



but then received this sensational one in the mail from a friend! It's full of all different teas for each day! I've never seen it before but it is the perfect gift. I literally squealed with delight when I opened it!



Ikea also sells little bags that you can put number stickers on and make your own, for the more creative.

I acknowledge it's all quite farcical as we're actually just counting down the days until presents. By getting daily presents. So technically I'm intellectually against this, but like all traditions, logic goes out the window and common sense does not prevail.

Do you do the advent thing? Do you think it's stupid and commercial? Do you make your own, and if so, what do you put in it?


(Housekeeping. Please feel free to link your Christmas posts. I will however have to delete non Christmas ones. They can be pro-Christmas, Bah Humbug anti-festive, Gift ideas (but link back to the Christmas link up please), seasonal food ideas, old or new but they do need to be Christmas related.) 
Linking with #MummyMondays,  


10 comments:

  1. I love the idea of Advent calendars but have never ever done one. They weren't in my life growing up and I haven't passed it on to the kids. I do get Advent calendar envy though when I see others doing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are AMAZATRON! There's something really wonderful about the start of advent isn't there... and I'm not religious, just love the excitement of it all. #stayclassymama

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've just discovered there's a Gin one. I wish I had that!! (I know you in the UK have had it for awhile but in Oz, it's the first!)

      Delete
  3. We do the Advent calendar, though we didn't do it last year (in the midst of moving) and I'm still not sure if we will do it this year as we will be traveling for the most of Dec. When we do it, though, instead of little gifts, I put in inspirational (or funny!) quotes. Occasionally, there will be a treat or two.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love really good advent calendars! As a kid, I used to get the $2 crappy compound chocolate ones. My husband still gets one each year from his mum (lol!).

    But these days, I prefer the grown up versions.

    Tea sounds fantastic, I also like fancy chocolate, beauty or the astonishing array of boozy advent calendars available.

    Check out the post I linked up with at least 14 different boozy advent calendars available in Australia!

    Which one is your favourite?

    Cheers,

    Louise

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought with my boys now both being teenagers they would not want advent calendars but no ...they both do!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm a bit late linking up but better late then never, hey?! There are no kids in this house but we still love our advent calendars. We've had ours since we first got together 14 years ago - one is a snowman and one is a reindeer with refillable pockets. We usually go for chocolate or scratchies but this year I'm thinking of including prompts for random acts of kindness. Wouldn't that be nice?!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We do the advent thing and this year I am making it. Oh my gosh though... maybe I need one of those LOccitane ones or the tea one for just ME!! Nice.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These ideas are adorable. I am lazy and usually just go for the $3 chocolate ones. I almost bought the L'Occitane one for myself!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We'd never done the advent thing until last year when the kids discovered the cheap commercial chocolate ones at Big W. I suspect that's what they'll be doing again this year although I'm still not much of a fan of counting down the days to get presents by giving yourself a present each day!

    ReplyDelete