Wednesday 23 November 2016

All wrapped up - #ChristmasLinkUP

One of the things I truly hate about Christmas is the waste - wrapping only to rip the paper off and throw it away. Here's a few little tips on reusable wrapping - very low cost at Ikea.
Gift bags!!
They come in all sizes and quantities - and while the recipient may throw them out, a good deal of them will recycle them with gifts themselves (or pack them away for next year). Saves the planet, saves you money. Win/Win!




I get the advent calendar ones for my little gifts to bookclub, mah jong and the other 'groups' I'm part of. (412.99 for 24)










 There are larger ones in packs of 12.



And for big gifts, get a festive looking carry tote, that can be part of the gift itself! ($3.99)












Ikea is also selling seed embedded cards that can be planted to grow Swan River Daisies. The proceeds from the card sales go towards the HeartKids charity in Australia. Double win for the people and the planet.




Another alternative is to forgo wrapping and give actual paper! Who Gives a Crap? has festively wrapped toilet paper or tissues and kitchen paper towel. The proceeds go to building toilets around the world. See their impact on greenhouse gases and forests here.




Not environmental but worth a mention, Central Park has a selfie santa gift wrap and Christmas Choir flashmobs this festive season.


Link up your Christmas posts, old or new, below or add any Christmas tips to the comments!

Linking with #MummyMondays


13 comments:

  1. Those seeded gift cards are a great idea!! I'm definitely going to look into that ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gift bags are a great idea and as you say, easy recycling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. IKEA opened up near us last week, and I haven't been there yet! I really want to check out the Christmas shop, I'm still using up the 10 rolls of wrapping paper I bought four years ago!

    ReplyDelete
  4. When we did Christmas presents I always did what I could to make the bag/whatever part of the present. For our grandchildren we had 'Santa' bags - made by a friend years ago, with a tie at the top and a little tag with their names on. They used to LOVE seeing these bags under our tree waiting for them on Christmas Day. I am linking up tomorrow with a little idea I've had about 24 days to Christmas countdown via photos. D x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the idea of seed inbedded christmas cards. I am not the best fan of disposable christmas cards at the best of times, this is a great idea! x I may add some seeds into my chrissie cards this year :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I had no idea Ikea was a good place to go or gift wrapping things! I'm going to keep an eye out next time I'm there. I need to hunt out all of my wrapping stuff - only one of my presents is wrapped so far, oops! And a coupe of them I'm only going to box...so behind this year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just added my new Instagram photo challenge #24daysofXmas post! Thanks Lydia. D xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those seeded gift cards are a great idea. I'm a big fan of gift bags, especially for my edible gifts! These days we like to be kinder, to ourselves, the planet and others less fortunate than us and instead of sending Christmas cards, we make a donation to charity instead!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love those cards. This year I bought Rafiki Mwema ones but had to keep two for myself because they were so gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love using gift bags! And I always reuse any I get. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gift bags are so convenient especially for awkward shaped gifts that are difficult to wrap too!
    Ingrid
    http://www.fabulousandfunlife.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really want a trip to Ikea. Make that a day trip! So much great stuff there. All of these gift bags are so stylish. Thanks for the link up!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have a stash of gift bags in my wardrobe - I can't remember the last time I had to buy one. I just keep reusing the ones the kids receive on their birthdays!

    ReplyDelete