Monday 28 November 2016

First of the Month Fiction - December

Wow! How has this happened? December already?
While my head is spinning, I've managed no time to write. Good thing I'm taking most of December and January off.
For newbies, write a story in exactly 100 words, or less than 30 words and add it in the comments, then link your blog.


It had been a frantic night, the worst one in years. Too much pressure to get everything done by close of business. He limped up the stairs. His wife was sleeping, with a glimmer of a smile on her lips. Dreaming of sugarplums, no doubt. He wanted nothing more than to collapse on the bed beside her but there was one last gift he needed to deliver. He removed the tiny jewellery box from his bag and placed it in the stocking at the end of the bed, the red felt one with Mrs Claus stitched into the fur trim.

PS, I don't like this one so much - I much prefer the unhappy Mrs Claus from this year or this year. But I'm trying to be nice so Santa doesn't punish me ;)

Happy Christmas to you all.


I'm closing the blog next week until Feb so this will be my last #Dreamteam post for awhile. I hope all everyone stays safe and finds some happy moments in this currently crazy world. May 2021 make this year a hideous memory quickly forgotten! Best wishes and drive safely!
Linking with 
Navigating Baby
An InLinkz Link-up

23 comments:

  1. Here we go - less than 30:

    She couldn’t do it. She quite simply couldn’t bring herself to kiss him. Something that had been so natural ten years ago was now an obvious act of insincerity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS Your story is cute! Your Santa sounds lovely.

      Delete
    2. THis is great. It's amazing what you've wrapped up there in so few words. I really love this one.

      Delete
  2. Lucky Mrs Claus!
    "She wiped the sweat off her brow and helped her to shift position slightly. It wouldnt be long now. Her gloved hands opened the birthing kit. Rose strained, bearing down..."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it, that made me feel all warm and fuzzy. I'm off to check out the unhappy Mrs Claus now to balance things out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lol. I like a happy Christmas story :) Enjoy your time off!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have a wonderful break over Christmas and enjoy what will most likely be a very hot summer! #IBOT

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bring on Christmas. I can't wait for holidays. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh that's nice. Yay for Mrs Claus. :)

    Had to join in today. Been working on a new story myself.

    She walked slowly, through the garden to where he was. He was the only one in this part of the facility, and why wouldn’t he be? There was no shade here, no view. Just the chain fence obscuting the world outside.
    She stepped quietly, though she wasn't sure why. Would he hear her anyway? He couldn’t turn around to see. Would he even know who she was?
    She stepped into his view, and waited a moment for the slow muscles in his neck to look up at her. For the light of recognition to reach his eyes. 'Hey. It's me.'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oooooh? And what happens next? This is a great start of something bigger. I'm hooked!

      Delete
  8. Nick sank into bed exhausted and smelling like reindeer. Another late night but it was all over for another year. Drifting off he felt a hand moving up his leg.
    "Feels like I haven't seen you for ages" purred Mrs Claus.
    Nick, for his part, knew better than to deny Mrs Claus, especially at Christmas.
    "I'm exhausted" he sighed, "you're going to have to do all of the work tonight"..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucky Mrs Claus!! (or unlucky Mrs Claus, actually!)

      Delete
  9. As much as i love funny and sarcastic i love warm and fuzzy more, I give this a big thumbs up! #StayClassyMama.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like it! I'm actually not so bah humbug this year!

    Here's mine:

    December should be jolly. Why was it always ominous for them? Stephanie's stomach churned. All she could so was wait for the scan results. Her husband was comatose beside her. The pain seemed to have dissipated, but the fear would never go. 

    The bustling urgency of the ED was at odds with the crooning Christmas carols. Please let the news be good, she prayed. And she didn't even believe in God. She nearly sobbed in relief at the first four words from the doctor. "There are no tumours," she said. 

    That's all she wanted for Christmas. Stephanie could breath again.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Um. Where do I link the blog?? Might be having a brain fart but I can't see any linky thing...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love reading everyone's stories. I am wondering though, if I put a hat with Mrs Claus stitched on it at the end of the bed, will I get a jewellery surprise?

    She could hear the incessant ticking. Out the corner of her eye she caught the nodding of the solar powered toy. Strange, she thought, it was eleven oclock at night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ooooh! I'm unsure if it's cute or menacing...made me chuckle! Great one!

      Delete
  13. I think it's a cute story and it makes me happy :D #OpenSlather

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy Christmas and enjoy your break! #DreamTeamLinky

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the story! Have a good Christmas break and we'll see you next year on the #dreamteamlinky

    ReplyDelete