Monday 8 May 2017

Days in Daylesford


 
At the last minute I headed to Daylesford with some friends, and while I knew there'd be good food and wine, spa treatments and bananagrams, what I didn't plan on was the morning excursion with a friend that resulted in unexpected mirth and frivolity.


We split from the others at the market and headed off to the blowhole, a waterfall spouting through an old gold mine shaft. The squealing and laughter started when a giant male roo bounded in front of our car, in full flight mode. He was magnificent, and it took us completely by surprise.

The viewing platform was closed off due to falling rocks so we decided to go bush, and ended up crossing the river for photos. All the while giving a running commentary of how the newspapers would describe us (middle aged women who should know better) should something go awry.

From there to the lavender farm for lavender scones, where a parade of geese lead to more squeals and us literally fleeing the restaurant to take photos.





We then climbed the tower in the Botanic Gardens, a rather strange addition built in 1938 (which I still need to research why it was built). 


We laughed exuberantly and for a few hours I was truly loving life. Sometimes it's the unexpected that makes all the difference.

What fun did you get up to on the weekend?

Linking with #Allseasons

19 comments:

  1. Wow. That sounds fabulous. You had me at lavender scones. Oh and what's a bananagram?? I had a pretty great weekend too full of yachting, parties and champagne :) #teamIBOT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yachting and champagne sounds pretty perfect to me!

      Delete
    2. Bananagrams is like speed scrabble that you can play in a group....

      Delete
  2. That is one place I'd love to visit. I've heard so many great things!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What jolly fun! You had me at lavender scones! I've heard such amazing things about Daylesford. I must visit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You get about not only this country but the world! Good for you. The pics look like this is a great place to be and stay! I have heard of it too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love unexpected adventures! We had one on Sunday when we found ourselves unexpectedly 4WD driving in a family van! Like you I was definitely imagining the newspaper write up on that one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely outing you had! Like Renee I waa curious as to what a bananagram is?

    Ingrid
    http://www.fabulousandfunlife.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lavender scones? Never had them but I'd sure like to try them! It sure does look beautiful there! #TeamLovinLife

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're so right about the unexpected moments bringing the most fun. As an aside, I'm imagining the news headlines too...and giggling. #TeamLovinLife

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've had lavender scones once with lavender lemonade. It's an interesting flavour.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a magical place! Another person who's in love with lavender. Not just the scent but seeing lavender plants themselves.

    SSG xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow. What a gorgeous part of the world. #teamlovinlife

    ReplyDelete
  12. That sounds like a wonderful experience! I love little impromptu adventures like that.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a wonderful place to explore

    Thank you for linking up

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lavender scones, yum! I'm looking forward to our Lavender Festival coming up next month. Sounds like you had a wonderful adventures, Lydia!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful scenes of a beautiful landscape!
    Pure nature. I particularly like the first photo.
    Thank you very much for the link to "Nature Thursday! Greetings

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful shots of nature. It would be my pleasure if you join my link up party related to gardening here at http://jaipurgardening.blogspot.com/2020/11/garden-affair-small-flowers-big.html

    ReplyDelete
  17. That does look like relaxing fun..

    ReplyDelete