Saturday 1 December 2018

Taking Stock - December



Cooking: On Friday night the eldest had her 18th. I spent the night literally cooking non stop - it started at 5 so I was determined to keep people eating to balance the alcohol. It was a success, though apparently my presence, even only as waitress and glassy was enough to weird out some of the teens.


Drinking: Not much at the moment, as I've been 'responsible supervising adult' two nights in a row - zero alcohol in case I have to drive someone to the hospital...


Listening to: Mares. They're hilarious and make me dance. I've started calling high heels Hoga Klackar and amusing myself no end...not so much everyone else around me. 




Reading: Absolutely adoring Robert Webb's How not to be a boy. I don't really know him as a comedian but the book is hilarious and so insightful. I'm seeing a lot of divorced men with anger issues at the moment and gaining the understanding into why they're so angry all of a sudden. But you will be hearing a lot from this book on the blog soon, so buy a copy for our bookclub discussions.

Liking: Our young people for taking to the streets on Climate Change when we did not. Their protest shone a light on how we, the adults, have dropped the ball.


Watching: Enjoying Man in the High Castle


Next watch: No idea - give me some suggestions. Netflix is rubbish.


Hoping: I can get my writing mojo back. I haven't written a decent story in almost a year.


Cringing:At the Liberal Party. Their immature comments to the media are getting really embarrassing when you consider the rest of the world is seeing them. They need to hire a PR manager - even a junior assistant would tell them that the comments to the teenage protesters reflects badly on them and they need to grow up and at least try for more Statesmen-like behaviour. (Ditto other politicians but at least their comments won't make world attention. We look like childish idiots.)






Needing: You to vote for my photo of Furnace so I can get tickets to sold out Field Day to see Rufus Du Sol. (I know, childish idiot myself).

Questioning: How that dress Sarah Hansen-Young wore was deemed inappropriate. I'm an old lady and it is something I would wear. How has our parliament come to this? And why are we talking about all this rubbish instead of what needs to be done -which is a lot if you ask me - to fix where the country is heading?


Smelling: Jasmine and Gardenias everywhere I go. It's divine.


Following: The Finnish Embassy in Canberra on Facebook. They have the best page. It's interesting and constantly delights. A few times this week, it's been the highlight of my day.







Disliking: The behaviour of the people we pay to run the country. They are not earning their salaries if you ask me. We need to demand better. This is our tax dollars they are wasting.

Loving: My new kicks.

Did you take stock? What should we watch on TV?

Linking with #TriumphantTales



32 comments:

  1. Looking yummy . Keep commenting on my blog because I love your comments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lydia, we have been watching the two seasons of 13 reasons why on Netflix. Apparently it had mixed reactions but we found it very powerful. I get what you mean though there is nothing worth watching at the moment. Agree about the politicians and the Liberals. I was a Liberal voter but they don't represent me now too far to the right for my liking. I'm spending December with My 25 day countdown to a Happy Christmas to take the stress out and bring the fun back. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The worst thing is, it's all of them. If it was just Liberals, it would be ok but who are we choosing?? It's so disappointing.

      Delete
    2. Oh I know what you mean there is no alternative really and that isn't a good place for the country to be in. x

      Delete
  3. You've given me 2 new things to check out - the Finnish Embassy and How Not To Be A Boy. I'm with you on pretty much everything else - distaste at the Libs, applause for the school strikers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the Finnish embassy page. I'm obsessed!

      Delete
  4. Australian politicians are so dire, they've made me almost want to go back to the UK (almost but not quite!) Loving your new kicks! Right now on Netflix we're loving Fauda (Hebrew subtitles,) Atypical and have just finished Killing Eve and Pine Gap on ABC catch up - both brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My eldest is 18 next July. It'll come too quickly!

    I did wonder what happened to First of the Month Fiction??

    Agree re the polies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will bring it back next year. I've been a bad, bad girl...:(

      Delete
  6. Loving the new kicks. Also not enamoured with the people 'running' our country. Hope you get a few days off being the responsible adult over Christmas (regarding alcohol, I mean).

    SSG xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes!! I'm about to hit the xmas party season!

      Delete
  7. I loved your review of the Finnish Embassy Facebook page, I must go look at it now! I agree re politicians and was appalled that the dress Sarah Hansen-Young wore got so much attention when the real issue should have been what she was saying! I'm so over the whole lot of them at the moment. Lovely to take stock with you for #Lifethisweek

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really disheartening. Even Di Natale's speech, while I agreed with his words, I thought 'Isn't this what you say at the time, or in the corridor afterwards?' It just seemed like a sound byte vote getting speech. I just don't want to pay them for this stuff.

      Delete
  8. Happy birthday to your grown up girl, a real milestone. I have one at 18 too, it's a great age. #GlobalBlogging

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good luck with your writing mojo. I'm penning my second novel. So I hope mine sticks around in 2019 too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Birthday to your daughter! I hope you'll get back to writing soon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those red kicks are nice. Hope you get your writtng mojo back soon. #lifethisweek

    ReplyDelete
  12. ...neat shoes, I want some with flames!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the shoes! Have a great week and thanks for sharing at NanaHood!

    ReplyDelete
  14. We're about to start watching Man in the High Castle - glad you're enjoying it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like it. I'm reading the book too, which is quite different. Hubby bored of it. I like the ideas. Let me know what you think

      Delete
  15. Love the sparkly shoes! Happy bday to your daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love those shoes. Glad your daughter had a great party! #TwinklyTuesday

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congratulations on your Miss 18 celebration and surviving HSC. Those kicks are the best. Pollies? over them. And next year in NSW 2 freaking elections. Sigh.
    Thank you for linking up this week for #lifethisweek Next week's optional prompt is the photo-based "Share Your Snaps." Denyse

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy 18th Birthday. Sounds like you were very busy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. LOVE Robert Webb- I look forward to hearing more about his book.
    #DreamTeam

    ReplyDelete
  20. I like this and congrats on your son's 18th birthday. As for what to watch on tv; I'm pretty useless in that department as I don't know when last I watched something decent on television. I prefer curling up with a good book #dreamteam

    ReplyDelete
  21. Congratulations! And I love your new kicks. Hurray for our young people leading the way too. #pointshoot

    ReplyDelete
  22. Loving the kicks! Sounds like a great 18th. Thanks for linking up #twinklytuesday

    ReplyDelete
  23. #pointshoot Agree with so much of what you have going on! xoxo

    ReplyDelete