Tuesday 4 December 2018

Loving Life - Little things

As I have mentioned, I put things toys, books, clothes that the kids have outgrown on the fence for people to take - some are brand new and never used, some are a little tatty. I just can't bear the idea of it going to landfill, and I love that it finds a new home. Strollers, baby monitors and other items also make the grade. Yesterday a woman was taking something as I was leaving and she said "Thank you, we have your Genie outfit from the other week, and we still have all your playdoh cutters from about four years ago". It made me so happy that these little kids were getting such joy out of them. Today, a woman at school stopped my youngest and said "Aren't you so very kind to give away your toys to other children? It's so lovely of you". My youngest blushed but was chuffed. The woman then said to me "I grew up in an orphanage, it would have made the world of difference to us if someone did that. We would would have cleared you out every day". A few years ago a man came and introduced himself to me in the street, stopping his bike as he rode past. He said he had kids at the school and they regularly took things from our fence, so he felt he needed to say hi. I have since bumped into him in the playground many times, heard the stories of his reno and moving house, where his wife works and about the kids. It's a really nice sense of community. So I am loving that people who take the things like to share their pleasure in the items. That is a gift in itself. Though I am still hoping the new little Flash makes an appearance soon.


We had a big 18th and the recycling flowed into two bins, so I had to trawl the neighbourhood putting glass bottles and cans in the streets bins. Shortly after, I came out to catch an uber and a woman was going through our bin taking out all the empties. I told her if I knew she was coming, I could have bagged them up for her, as I'd just had to fill up other people's bins (and pointed out which ones to go to next). She then informed me that she was giving money to the farmers. Apparently you can get cash back OR you can direct it to a charity, and she chose the drought relief. I LOVE this story. I LOVE that this woman is putting effort into help others, and that the bottles and cans would indeed be recycled.

We had our bookclub xmas party last night, and one of the traditions is a book swap. One friend, equally waste conscious, has been wrapping her presents in red (and green) boxes. I am a HUGE fan of this idea, and will be stealing once I've used up all the gift bags. We can all make a difference, with small and easy changes. For other environmental ideas, with the bonus cost savings thrown in for nothing, see here.

“Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” 
― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax










Lastly, it is advent calendar time. I got a T2 one, which I'm enjoying trying a new tea each day, and I got myself the L'Occitane one. I love that feeling of a few seconds excitement as I open it each day, and I love the luxury of the new smells in body wash and hand creams each day. I'm actually waking with anticipatory excitement, which is a lovely feeling - a long lost joy. That feeling is actually the gift, not the tea or the lotion. Sometimes it's the little things that make a difference.


If you are after gift ideas next year for people that don't need anything, I thoroughly recommend an 'adult' advent calendar.










All these stories make me love life. As the wise Dr. Seuss said in The Lorax, “It's not about what it is, it's about what it can become.” 


What are you loving this week?




Linking with #TrafficJamWeekend. And note this year's #XmasLinky is now live.

18 comments:

  1. How lovely to share things that are no longer used. I love that idea. As the lady said, you never know what sort of impression it would have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's an 8 year old in our street who sent a leaflet out to all the houses in the neighbourhood to say that he wanted to raise $421 (yes, that exact amount) from recycled containers to buy his sponsor child and their family a goat and education. He'd broken the numbers down and put it in the leaflet. On Saturday he came and picked up the containers we'd all left out, knocked at each door (with Dad looking on from a distance) and handed us a little handwritten thankyou. Just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that story - It's brought tears to my eyes (tho I'm a little distressed due to other news, so I'm guessing that might play a part of it.) What a lovely child and gesture. And what a go getter to make it happen.

      Delete
    2. Oh I love this idea. (And this kid and his family!)

      Delete
  3. I love your fence generosity and how lovely to get the feedback that you do! Lovely story also about the woman collecting bottles for those affected by drought. There's some lovely people in our world! #TeamLovinLife

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was quite well dressed and had a big car, so I was sort of curious as to why she was going through the bins...but I loved her story

      Delete
  4. I made a decision a month ago to start to get rid of excess stuff. So, I'm throwing / giving away 4 things a week. I'm actually really focussed on clothes at the moment as it started because I realised I needed to cull my wardrobe. Some old faithful (but ripped / holey) tshirts went into the bin but some pants and shirts went to the op shop my mum volunteers at. There'll be more but I just need to get my head around ditching some of it.

    Had I thought of it I should have gotten my mum a T2 advent calendar. Perhaps next year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to give boxes of stuff to this women's refuge but now they don't want anything. I had been given (to give away) about $800 worth of lego once and I really struggled to get any charity to take it. It was in it's original boxes and everything!! Charity is always my first choice but then the fence if not good enough for charity (aged or not complete or just not good enough quality)

      Delete
  5. Lovely stories! We can all do little things to reduce waste, reuse, and recycle things that we don't need but are useful for others.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great stories and thanks for sharing the Dr. Seuss quotes. That made my day. #lovinlifelinky

    ReplyDelete
  7. love the Christmas party book swap idea! @musingstiredmum #StayClassyMama

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love, love, love the idea of putting toys out for people to take, so kind and sustainable (thinking I might try out this idea myself) #KCACOLS

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do like the adult advent calendar idea, such fun #KCACOLS

    ReplyDelete
  10. Small acts of kindness or thoughtfulness can have such wide reaching effects. We donate to the preschool or charity shop when things are outgrown. Thanks for linking up with #stayclassymama

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is such a lovely post which has really made me smile! I also love the quote: “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
    Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” - beautiful! #KCACOLS

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a lovely way to share toys so others get use out of them. Thanks so much for linking up at #KCACOLS. Hope you come back again next time

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your fence is an amazing idea! Our 9yo's school is asking for any donations of toys that may be out-grown, in time to give to children who otherwise wouldn't receive any toys at Christmas. Our daughter's giving a toy. #kcacols

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the fence idea! I usually donate the toys and clothes, but this is such a cool thing! #KCACOLS

    ReplyDelete