Tuesday 7 February 2023

Only dead fish go with the flow - Andy Hunt

I need to say, the quote in the title seems to be very similar to the G K Chesterman one, so not sure entirely about the attributed author, blame the misinformation on the internet if I've got it wrong. The photos have nothing to do with the words, but just from a recent early morning walk...look at the pictures, read the words or do both, you're choice.




We were going to dinner before the theatre and only had an hour, so we just ordered a main. The food, however, came so quickly and the walk to the theatre was much less than the 15 minutes we'd initially thought, so we had plenty of time and decided to order dessert.

The desserts were minimal and three of us ordered the gelato just for the sake of it, rather than with much enthusiasm. Our fourth, however, said "I'm getting a starter". To the waitress he said, "I'll have the anchovies". She was a little confused so he pointed to it on the menu. "Oh, you're having an entree?" she questioned. "Yes" he affirmed confidently.



Now, I realised I should have done the same, as there were many more things in the entree menu that appealed to me than the desserts.

Why do we blindly follow these rules? There's no need, there's no harm to anyone if we buck the system in this case.  Yet we don't. We follow an unspoken path of behaviour. Even if we don't really want the dessert, most of it order it if still hungry. Just because that's what's meant to come next.

I am a person who will order two entrees instead of a main if I don't like the main, and one time, at a restaurant that had amazing entrees but very pedestrian mains, we said "We'll just order all the entrees, and not have any mains". The waiter said "Fine, which ones do you want?" To which we replied, a la Ron Swanson (but before he said it), "All of them. Just bring them out a few at a time". The waiter found this hilarious but enthusastically complied.


So why was I surprised when my friend ordered anchovies for dessert? I guess I've become more conforming and conservative in age without realising it. It's not so much I needed permission to do it, more it just never occured to me - I was bound by some arbitary rule about what to do in restauarants. Illogically unquestioning...What else do I do this with?







Linking with #TravelTuesday #WednesdayAoundtheWorld #MCoW #AnythingGoes #WeekendCoffeeShare #SkyWatch & #WWandP 





14 comments:

  1. Hi Lydia, I've been pondering 'why do we follow rules' this week so your post is timely. We have been programmed to do what 'everyone else does, because that is the way it is done', whether we agree or not. Anchovies for dessert was a bold choice but go your friend! #WWandP

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not a dessert person (and rarely order it) and there's many a time I'd wished I'd ordered another starter when everyone else is sitting there with dessert. Like you I'll often order 2 entrees. Go your friend...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a savoury over sweets person and rarely order dessert (don't need the calories if I don't love the food). My weakness is chips and I've been known to choose a main course dependent on whether it's served with chips - and I've ordered chips on their own plenty of times too - I'm such a pleb!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chips were one of the hardest things to cut out withmy cholesterol. I love them with chicken salt. So I totally understand why you might pick a main to get the chips ;)

      Delete
  4. That quote in your title always makes me smile and I love what you did in your post - entree for dessert, why not indeed. I often get entrees instead of a main and then a dessert if anything appeals.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your friend's style! I used to love desserts but these days if I'm eating two courses, I much prefer a starter and a main and I don't know if it's a trend but often the starters sound more appealing than the mains. What's with that?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A lovely morning walk!

    There's a bistro near me that just offers what they call small plates, you can order as many or few as you wish in any order you like!

    ReplyDelete
  7. When I still could eat out and with a much smaller appetite than many, I used to take my late Mum's lead. I order an entree or entree size and then see if I wanted dessert. Rules for restaurants are annoying for me now, with challenges of oral cancer, and will not allow me to order, say a child's meal. It was so good seeing your blog post shared via the Wednesday’s Words and Pics link up. Thank you for being part of the community here and I hope to see you next week too. Denyse.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely sky photos - I've ordered multiple appetizers as my meal more than once - sometimes the appetizers are the best things on the menu!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful skies. I think it's good and healthy to change things up once in a while (although I don't like anchovies for dessert or otherwise😉).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely photographs Lydia and the title quote is very true! I'm one of those people who often has an entree or two instead of a main. Entrees are often more appealing, and in some cases a better portion size for me. Some mains are just too huge!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You know I once asked the waiter that all I'm going to have is a bunch of appetizers and no mains, if that is okay. She said all right with her.

    Worth a Thousand Words

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely photos in your post. Good for your friend to order what he felt like having at that time. Thank you for your weekend coffee share.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes why do we always feel we need to confirm - I agree I sometimes think I should order a couple of entrees instead of a main. Perhaps I should do that next time. We enjoyed walking around the Syndey waterfront when we were there, Enjoy your week ahead I am joining you at Wednesday Around the World.

    ReplyDelete