Tuesday 21 February 2023

“Real museums are places where Time is transformed into Space.” ― Orhan Pamuk, The Museum of Innocence

 

Many years ago, I went and saw a Daniel Kitson show (66a church rd -that's it's name, you don't need to go there) and he talked about (bear with me butchering it) the word nostalgia coming from nosta meaning going home and algia meaning pain, and it's not the whimsical reminiscing that we often mean, but the aching pain of not being able to go home -in the sense that what was home no longer exists. It's a type of fear of never being able to go back...

The Do Ho Suh exhibition at the MCA made me think of that. He made paper rubbings of buildings, including his chilhood home which he then recontructed. It's astounding but he points out if captures his father, as well as himself.

These buildings are not just the bricks and construction, but the marks of those who lived there.
We can never truly go back but we do carry that around in us. We mark them and they leave a mark on us.


This fabulous exhibition ends this weekend so if you haven't been, don't miss it! Buy tickets here.
 Linking with #WWOT #ThruMyLens loopyloulaura



14 comments:

  1. Wow. It looks like amazing! I love that description of home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fascinating exhibition, Lydia. You aways seem to find cool things to do and see. Only this morning I was thinking about going back to Sydney to visit my cousin (who is like a sister) and is in her 80s now. She is the last link to my Mum and I so want to see her and other family members. I've not been back for about 6 or 7 years and as I would love to revisit soon. #WWandP

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is beyond interesting - how do people come up with things like this...."I know, I'll do some paper rubbings and then re-construct my home based on them...." just Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So interesting Lydia, I've never heard of this but it sounds really cool!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like a fascinating exhibition. My re-touristing of Wellington today is all about galleries and museums...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really interesting post! Thank you for joining in this week’s link up for Wednesday’s Words and Pics. Next week I will be in ‘moving house’ mode, so no link up. All being well, the link up will be back on 8 March. Denyse.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love those houses made from paper - the intricate detail is amazing. And as for the word nostalgia... that description captures its essence perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Absolutely amazing what an exhibition thanks for sharing Lydia :-)

    Have a museumtastic week ๐Ÿ‘

    ReplyDelete
  9. looks cool. My daughter is very artistic and would probably love this #dreamteam

    ReplyDelete
  10. Interesting and unique. Thanks for sharing at http://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2023/03/i-wish-i-was-there.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. I liked to take the children to museums when I was child minding#dreamteam

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are some interesting places to visit. Thank you for sharing them with us. #dreamteam

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's such an interesting concept! I didn't realise that an element of pain, as such, or maybe longing in a non-whimsical sense was attached to this word. The exhibition looks like you could get lost in it - not just from the work, but the ideas around them. Thank you for joining us for the #DreamTeam :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such a fascinating concept. You always find such unique places to visit. Thanks for linking up with #DreamTeam

    ReplyDelete