Friday 17 February 2023

What's on my bookshelf? - February

I'm late to the link up but I couldn't miss two months running!




For book club we did Our Missing Hearts. It took me a while to get into it but once it was more about the libraries and the rebellion, I was more into it. That how society feel apart and then fought back kind of thing. I imagine it's a pretty popular read, so while I enjoyed it, it's not something I'd say 'you must read'. But I think most people will like it.

My other bookclub did the new Nick Hornby 'Just like you'. It's a bit of a mess, looking at everything - age gaps, race relations, Brexit (or political polarisation) and so much more - but it's sort of too many things so it doesn't quite work. Easy to read but light on. I found the Brexit stuff really interesting, as from over here I hadn't realised what it had done to people in the lead up. (But it's similar to the vax 'us & them' mentality). One thing that was pretty funny is the young man gets embarrassed when his much older lover dances and the women in my bookgroup, were saying that they found that ridiculous and over the top and I got to tell them that it was actually what happened to me at festivals. Complete strangers would loaugh at me and copy me dancing because I looked so weird. Ha! One for the Hornby fans...





Fight Like A Girl. I really enjoyed this. I somehow have missed the whole Clementine Ford wagon and while I know the name, don't really know who she is or anything else about her. I found her very smart and the book looks at many aspects of feminism. Intersectional & inclusive feminism. It prompted me to write this post as I noticed I'd done one of the things without ever questioning it. Good book and very interesting with lots to think about.




The Vanishing Act - Mette Jakobsen. This is a gem of a book. It's delightful. If you like Tove Jansson, it's a simillar style. It's strange and poetic, quirky and sad. It's a child piecing together her isolated existance and the relationships around her. Loved it. (So did my mum).

I'm sure there's been more but for the life of me I can't think what they are....?

loopyloulaura


My Random Musings

14 comments:

  1. I've actually never read anything by Celeste Ng - I must be the only person on earth who hasn't. I am normally a Nick Hornby fan but yours isn't the first review I've read that says he's trying to do too much here. The Vanishing Act sounds interesting. Thanks for linking up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These all sound great Lydia, I've read something by Celeste Ng before and enjoyed it from memory. The Vanishing Act caught my attention in particular, many thanks for joining us for #WOYBS.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting collection. I actually lost family members and friends because of Brexit, (by that I mean they don't speak to me anymore, which is so silly because 'real' friends accepted we had opposing thoughts.) I really like the sound of The Vanishing Act.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for joining us for What's On Your Bookshelf. I recently read Celeste Ng's Little Fires Everywhere and greatly enjoyed it. I'm currently on a LONG waiting list to borrow Our Missing Hearts from our local library. I look forward to it coming in soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just added Fight Like a Girl to my TBR list. I've heard of Clementine Ford (in fact, I think I follow her on Twitter) but haven't read her yet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Lydia, some interesting reads here. I've read some of Celeste Ng's work so will add this to my list. Also interested in The Vanishing Act. Thanks for joining us for #WOYBS and sharing your recommendations. Have a great week! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't heard of any of these books. But they sound interesting at least. #DreamTeam

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't think I have heard of any of these! I did read one other Celeste NG book and really enjoyed it but never thought to look up others by her.

    ReplyDelete
  9. They all sound like interesting books, Lydia. The book club I am in has picked some 600 page best sellers this time around which means I'll be deep into reading this year. I'll have to look into getting some of the ones you recommend for next year's selections. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have never been a part of a book club....basically cause if I was not into a book that was picked, I can't force myself to read it. I do like to read before bed. I finished a book a couple weeks ago and need to pick up a new one to start on. THanks for stopping by the blog and leaving a comment. Jump over anytime.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have not read anything by Celeste Ng, but I have seen a few episodes of "Little Fires Everywhere", but yes, she's popular in the U.S. I am interested in the Nick Hornby book. I'll add that on my TBR.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the diversity of your book choices. I haven't read any Nick Hornby in years, now tempted... Thanks for linking up with #DreamTeam

    ReplyDelete
  13. The Vanishing Act sounds like a great read! I love the cover art too. I'm still amazed at how many books you get through. It's brilliant. Thank you for joining us for the #DreamTeam - we always love seeing you x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like an interesting and eclectic mix of books. I like the cover art on the last one especially. Visiting from BookWorms Monthly - Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete