Wednesday 15 February 2023

State of the world, state of mind

I have hit the wall on the bad news in the News. I have actively avoided hearing about Syria and Turkiye, though I have donated to the White Helmets, MSF and am trying to find someone useful on the ground in Turkiye to donate to - I just can't get my head around the devastation and the thought of it all. Even the survivors will have PTSD. Everyone in the country will have lost someone, no matter where they live.

Over the weekend there was a dreadful murder in the UK in public in broad daylight. There is a total irrational persecution of trans people being played out on the internet and in the media over there and that's the result. Children killing children. It makes me sick. They tried it in Australia, it's a trick to distract you from the state of the economy and the hospital system (our medicare) being gutted. It's to get you worked up so you don't notice the real problems you should be angry about. The Austrailan public didn't fall for it, so it's very easy to see when it's being done elsewhere.

Yesterday, my feed was filled with the flooding in New Zealand and then the earthquake. It's just too much for me at the moment.

I woke this morning to this pink cloud. It is carefree and playful.

It is hope.

But really, it's just a cloud and if I look at my phone, all the dark troubles of the world will pour in. I'm not sure if I'm overly hormonal and fragile, or if it's just too horrible nowadays?  Last night I wondered if I could be the kind of person that didn't read the news. I've never understood how people live like that, but now I can see why.


I'm sorry for this outpouring of doom. Just focus on the cloud.

What do you do when your mood sinks for no personal reason? Any tips on keeping this stuff in perspective? 

Any tips on who to give to help people in Turkiye or New Zealand?


Linking with #Allseasons #WordlessWednesday #TheRandom #WeekendCoffeeShare #SkyWatch  #GaleriaHimmelsblick



20 comments:

  1. 'The mood does not sink for no personal reason', from my perspective. There is a curtain around us with bad things and our minds react in different ways, slowing down our energy. Every emotion, every unbalanced situation, is an unbalanced chemistry in our body, even we do not believe this.
    I do not know if you read something about PhD. Bruce Lipton, especially 'The Biology of belief'. It's an amazing book.
    Maybe you'll find the pdf in english. He changed my way of seeing,
    I may say, everything!
    I wish to be well, Lydia! Think that you are, no matter what! 😘❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But why would the earthquate devastation upset me so much? I can see it's not rational. But yes, it could be mean menopause hormones. On the plus, I've kjust discovered a shiny ray of light (literally) I can play with. That's lifted my mood (but I haven't looked at the News yet...

      Delete
    2. But it is normal, human to be upset by such an event.
      And in the background it is always the fear of events
      that we can not control, like this one. I started not to
      watch the news. Spreading fear is there mission. I start
      to think about what I do. It's healthier...☺

      Delete
    3. Ah, I see. I thought you were saying something else...

      Delete
  2. When I start feeling like this, I try to step away from the news for a bit and take a hike! The news can be so overwhelming these days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The news in Turkey and Syria is horrible, no doubt. Even the helpers need help.
    I try and limit the news I watch. I avoid television and read the newspapers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like Doctors without borders (but call it the French name - MSF). I know they aren't perfect but in COVID they got respirators into Mali and clinics where there were none.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Funnily enough, I wrote that yesterday and today Full Story was on exactly this. I feel much better knowing it's common and normal, and yes, I don't need to stop listening to the news but I need to temper it wiht the good in the world....https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/audio/2023/feb/17/why-we-need-to-talk-about-happiness-with-lenore-taylor

    ReplyDelete
  6. The sky colour is beautiful. When the news get to me, I take a break from it, go for walks, be in nature as often as possible and focus on good things until I feel balanced again. Thank you for your weekend coffee share.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The devastation in the middle East is heart wrenching for sure.

    Worth a Thousand Words

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lately life is a series of experiences making me smile and then cry. None of should underestimate how hard the past 3 years have been...COVID for one reason. Take care dear friend. D x

    ReplyDelete
  9. That cloud is hop filled Lydia and I get what you are saying about the outpouring of doom. I'm going to be donating through Rotary International as I know the money will get where it's supposed to go. #wcs

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a beautiful view of the sky and I see you know how to do it, when it gets too much, turn off the cell phone, go for a walk, take a deep breath and look at beautiful things, then your head and soul will be free again. Yes, one can help, but you cannot save the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what my husband says, when I go off to a protest or want to help someone I've passed in the street "You know you can't save everyone" (but then I get annoyed and say "Well I can try" or "Well, I can help that guy" hehehe

      Delete
  11. There does seem to be a lot more doom and gloom in the world lately - so you're not imagining it. All the natural disasters and I'm still sad about the war in Ukraine. It all seems a bit hopeless. I must admit to being one of those people who steers away from immediate online news - we get the newspaper a couple of times a week and I tend to catch up with things that way - it feels a little less immediate and traumatic, and a little easier to digest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's probably a good idea, as it might be less sensational (chasing clicks) so less hyperbole, if I get the right paper...

      Delete
  12. There is solace in nature, but the reality of suffering due to the earthquake and the war in Ukraine cannot be ignored.

    ReplyDelete