Thursday 22 June 2017

Faith

We lost the ipad on the way to Europe - I thought my youngest left it on the plane. We emailed Singapore Airlines in hopes of picking it up on our return flight. We emailed again when we got back to Australia, in case it had turned up since in lost property. No luck. I rang our insurer and ask if they cover it, as it was our carelessness not theft. They said they did. I found all the many documents, going back years for receipts. Once submitted, I was told they didn't cover it because we left it in a public place. Thanks for nothing, Covermore. You should have said that over the phone and not wasted my time.

Fast forward two and a half months after we lost it, and I receive an email from Denis in Amsterdam. He's found it, and asks if we can we describe it so he knows it's ours. He found it in the airport. I suspect in the seats at the baggage carousel. I offer to pay for the postage. He is going to send it and sends me his bank details. I can pay him after it's been sent if I want.

I am going to pay him in advance. My partner asked how do I know if he's really found it, or really going to send it? I figure it's too much of a hassle to be some nefarious ruse, all this emailing. More importantly, I don't want to believe there are people who would do that. I want to believe that the majority of the world is full of good people who do the right thing. I know this may be naive, but I want to think that's the truth, and so I shall.

In a weird addition to the list, I'm adding 'Trust a stranger' to the Torschlusspanik list. Partly because it makes me feel good to believe in the good in people, partly because if I found somebody's ipad, I'd do the same thing.

"Kindness is the golden chain by which society is bound together."
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.


Now, is there a cheap way to transfer Euros into a bank account?
Do you think I'll see the ipad again?
Should I wait to send the money? (I'm not going to, I'm just curious)

Torshlusspanik List:


1. Shooting (check)
2. Fencing (check)
3. Play croquet at Croquet Club
4. Laser skeet
5. Off road buggy driving
6. Play Assassins Creed
7. Jetpacking (check)
8. The Color Run (check)
9. Invent something
10. Cooking Masterclass (check)
11. Master a Masterclass (check)
12. Perform a rap song (check)
13. Trampoline adventure (check)
14. BMX Riding (check)
15. Do a cart wheel (check)
16. Ride an Electric Bike (check)
17. Astonish Myself
18. Write a book.
19. Participate in a distance event (check)
20. Climb Sydney Tower (check)
21. Dance in a dance class (check)
22. Trust a stranger


Linking with #OpenSlather and #GlobalBlogger

4 comments:

  1. I love a happy ending. I've watched too many consumer/rip off programmes so I'd have to say I'd send the money when I receive the ipad. That's disappointing about Covermore, they're usually pretty good - must make sure I don't lose anything on our next trip! Looking forward to "Dennis and the Ipad - The Sequel."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm aren't insurers bad..happy to take your money not so happy to pay you. I am not sure whether I would want to pay before receiving. It is a bit of gamble isn't it? I will watch with interest what the outcome is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still believe in trusting people, but the sad reality is, there are plenty of people these days, and I guess its been that way for all time, that will try to pull the wool. I think it's fantastic that Denis got in touch with you instead of keeping the ipad for himself. A win for humanity(with the hope he puts it in the post) x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes humans just plain old get it right....and when they do it is a beautiful thing. Thanks for linking up to #globalblogging

    ReplyDelete