Wednesday 27 February 2019

“The only stable state is the one in which all men are equal before the law.” ― Aristotle
















This year's Mardi Gras sees us celebrate a step further in equality (though there is still that pesky school issue, and while they say they have never told children they aren't welcome for being LBGTQI, there is a private school near me that has been taking in those same children after they've been encouraged to leave. Teachers talk.)

However, as we wait for our PM to do what he promised to do (and let's face it, the right thing), let's celebrate  we are moving slowly to a more inclusive society. Let's remember how far we have come and be thankful we aren't like some countries that appear to be moving backwards in this area.

“Thought
Of equality- as if it harm'd me, 
giving others the same chances
and rights as myself- 
as if it were not indispensable 
to my own rights 
that others possess the same.” 
― Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass



(Or the short version - equal rights for others doesn't mean less rights for you. It's not pie).

Happy Mardi Gras everyone.

Linking with #MySundayPhoto




10 comments:

  1. The quote from Aristotle you opened with is so powerful and true, Lydia.

    Happy Mardi Gras as we continue to take small but sure steps towards equality.

    SSG xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, to all of the above - especially your last line. It isn't pie and there's plenty of love to go around.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank goodness for progress! #TeamLovinLife

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such an interesting observation about the local schools!
    Denyse x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really dusgusted with one of those principals who said it never happened yet not 2 years ago, it apparently did - fortunately the child landed in a safe, inclusive private school. I admire Sceggs and Cranbrook who refused to join in. What kind of people do this to vulnerable children? My former school is there and it sits really uncomfortably with me.

      Delete
  5. I love the pie quote and it's one I wish I'd been aware of when an old work colleague (who was religious) used to talk about marriage equality. He felt it denigrated the man / woman thing. He was open to discussion and debate and I always thought that argument would have been something he'd have to accept.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So it's been a year now, and not one of those same sex marriages has impacted my hetrosexual union. AMAZING. (Tho I also haven't been invited to one, which is a little disappointing to be honest, because in sterotypical cliche, I'd expect it to be FABULOUS!)

      Delete
  6. Very nice. I live in the San Francisco Bay Area and teach in San Francisco Unified. We are very welcoming to all and here it is okay to be whoever you are. #lifelovinlinky

    ReplyDelete
  7. So true, and so fair and just, but unfortunately in so many parts of the world such an unattainable ideal...
    Thanks for taking part in the "My Sunday Best" meme, Lydia.

    ReplyDelete