Friday 1 February 2019

When lying, be emphatic and indignant, thus behaving like your children. William Feather

There is a funny moment when parenting teens. It's the moment when you are more delighted in your ability to outsmart them, to catch them out in a lie, than be angry that they were trying to be sneaky in the first place.

We were at a party the other night and a woman said the principal of their school sat them down at the start of Year 11 and said "If you don't believe your child would ever lie to you, they already are." She continued with how she had believed her child wasn't drinking in the park with her friends. I find this notion hilarious - that kids are going to parks at night for a party, not to drink. If they weren't up to no good, they'd be at a house with a servant bringing them food, and with unlimited options of entertainment. Apparently there are scores of parents who think their kids are going to the park at night and say 'No thanks, none for me...'. This woman expanded that she was shocked when she discovered her child was lying, and the principal's words echoed in her ears. Needs to be said that her husband had been onto it from the beginning...

I too have had moments when I've seen through the story, and been able to catch them out. The most fun as a parent is when you can catch them out by using their lie to manipulate them so they back themselves into a corner. There's no anger, nor even punishment, you both pretend the lie is 'true' but the plan comes unstuck. It's one of the small victories in teen parenting.

However, I'm not naive enough to think that if I've caught them out this time, there haven't been others when they've pulled the wool over my eyes...It's a self righteous fool that says "My child would never...". They usually are the ones that do.

Linking with #FridayFeature #DreamTeam #TwinklyTuesday #KCACOLS and #StayClassyMama

16 comments:

  1. How true! I've caught my boys lying to me more than a couple of times. But we did that to our parents too, didn't we?!!

    #kcacols

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, so true! My 5 year old is dabbling in lying for the first time and it's hilarious... he's not very good at it! There's still time to perfect his technique and I'm sure there will be times he gets caught out, and times he gets away with it! Oh, the fun of parenting! #TwinklyTuesday

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was a big problem when ours was a teen, sometimes it seemed like she would lie about just about everything, even the smallest things. We can laugh about it now, but it was draining #KCACOLS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been caught out in reverse too - the story was so dumb it had to be made up but it was true! I felt bad for not believing it.

      Delete
  5. When my son was a teen it never failed. Someone would catch him doing the wrong thing and tell us. I told him that God would always know what he was doing and was protecting him. #KCACOLS

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think that all children tell white lies#,dreamteam@_karendennis

    ReplyDelete
  7. My oldest is so smart in school, but is so lazy at home. He tries to get by. It's so frustrating. I think he uses his brains up, while he's at school.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My boys are young still but they do lie sometimes and it is hiliourios because it is so dame obvious lol X #stayclassymama

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh the joys of teenage parenting. My teenager is coming out with all manner of stories and it's hard sometimes to know what's true and what's not. Love, support and plenty of 1-1 time is how I cope and crossing my fingers that it all works out alright in the end:) Thanks so much for linking up at #KCACOLS. Hope you come back again next time. Mainy

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was terrible. That's why I'm genuinely frightened of having teenagers in the future!! #KCACOLS

    ReplyDelete
  11. My son is a horrible liar, I pray it stays that way. Plus he always feels bad about doing anything wrong that he usually comes and tells me. <3 He is my little heart of gold. #KCACOLS

    ReplyDelete
  12. My little girl is trying to lie to me as a 3 year old. I was a terrible liar. But I am a deeply sceptical and worryful parent. I am pretty much working out the worst case scenario and working on that first. The only thing that might stump me is the technology, and I am trying to keeping abreast.... Let us see what happens... #KCACOLS

    ReplyDelete
  13. Brilliant! I'm trying to teach my two now the importance of telling the truth, I can't bear lying. Thanks for linking up #twinklytuesday

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes, very true. I think we can all relate to this, having been teens ourselves once upon a time ;-) x
    #KCACOLS

    ReplyDelete
  15. My children did not lie often but they often left things out on purpose so I did not know the truth at all times. I guess that is a part of growing up.

    ReplyDelete