Thursday 21 March 2024

Dressed for the occasion....

 


A few weeks back I attended the magnificent ballet, Alice in Wonderland. If it ever returns, make sure you go. I'm not what you'd call a fan of ballet. I think I've been 3 times in my life (and only for one where I love the book - Three musketeers & Don Quixote).










This production is stunning - it's visually delightful and imaginative. Just beautiful.












I dressed for the occasion with my Alice bag and earrings. 

However, I was stopped a quite few times, both in the street and at the show. and complimented on the dress. I don't wear this dress often as it seems a little over the top (and I guess overly feminine for me) and yet that was the thing that stood out to strangers.







Makes me realise often it's the image in our head that holds us back. Like Alice, maybe we need to ignore what we think we know and be open to what's going on around us. Maybe we need to dress out of our normal patterns more often?
 

"Alice had got so much into the way of expecting nothing but out-of-the-way things to happen, that it seemed quite dull and stupid for life to go on in the common way.”


Linking with #WWWhimsy 






12 comments:

  1. Looks like the perfect outfit for the ballet!
    www.chezmireillefashiontravelmom.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never seen this ballet so will look out for it. People love it when theatre goers dress for the specific production. I still lament not wearing sequin trousers to ABBA Voyage!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If it ever gets near I promise I will go. Sounds most delightful.

    Thank you for joining the Awww Mondays Blog Hop.

    Have a fabulous Awww Monday and week. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a perfect outfit for a ballet - especialy Alice in Wonderland! I'd love to see that one myself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How lovely Lydia - the ballet and your dress! I love it when strangers take the time to stop and compliment you on an outfit, and this dress looks perfect for the ballet! #WWWhimsy

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not a fan of the ballet, but I adore Alice ... so maybe ... That dress is sublime.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the ballet, Lydia and as a former ballet teacher I should go more often. I loved your Alice themed outfit perfect for the event. #WWWhimsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know you were a ballet teacher. I can see it tho....

      Delete
  8. Not a ballet fan and admire you for going and enjoying. Your dress is very sweet! Denyse

    ReplyDelete
  9. You really were dressed for the occasion! I love the dress and can see why strangers stopped to compliment you on it. The bag and earrings are fab too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Lydia, I don't think I've ever been to the ballet. When I was younger I think I'd have thought it boring but now I'm older - I'm a lot more sensitive and interested and I think I would enjoy it (depending on the storyline I guess). I adore the bag and the earrings you wore and that dress is just perfect to wear to Alice in Wonderland. You're fabulous! Thanks for linking up with #WWWhimsy - have a great week! xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've seen lots of operas but never a ballet! This sounds like a perfect introduction. You certainly dressed for the occasion!

    ReplyDelete