Thursday 6 November 2014

Tend your Garden

“People where you live," the little prince said, "grow five thousand roses in one garden... yet they don't find what they're looking for...

They don't find it," I answered.

And yet what they're looking for could be found in a single rose, or a little water..."

Of course," I answered.

And the little prince added, "But eyes are blind. You have to look with the heart.”  

This is from the exquisite book, The Little Prince. An extraordinary work. Wrapped up in a children's book, it covers the meaning of life, a way to live a good life and other existential lessons.

Happiness is the goal. But it is also the journey. Sometimes we lose sight of this. As soon as we do, we've lost our purpose.

If you find yourself thinking "I'll be happy when...", then you need to take action.
If you find yourself thinking there's no purpose, then create one. Maybe it's helping others. Maybe it's taking a stand. Maybe it's making the world a better place, in one tiny effort.

Don't ignore what's in front of you, searching for something more.

“It is the time you have spent with your rose that makes your rose so important.”

Linking with #WowonWednesday

11 comments:

  1. "But eyes are blind. You have to look with the heart."
    What a great way to put it.
    Have the best weekend !

    ReplyDelete
  2. That elusive happiness is why I love The Happiness Trap so much. I also agree that when we are striving for more, we run into the danger of missing what we already have. Thank you so much for linking up with me today :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an extraordinary work indeed. There is no "i'll be happy when". Looking for happiness from outside means - be it from another person or by material means is useless and won't result in happiness (maybe temporarily at most). Happiness comes from within and only we can gift it to ourselves. So much I could say on this subject ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Too true - happiness is the goal but it is also the journey! Thanks for reminding me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am always telling myself off for thinking "I will be happy when..". The time is to be happy now, with what I've got and make the most of it. Because it might not be here tomorrow. Who knows what the future will bring. Good or bad.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Don't ignore what's in front of you, searching for something more.

    “It is the time you have spent with your rose that makes your rose so important.” I love this post and totally agree. We need to stop thinking so far ahead we miss what is right in front of us. I'm your neighbor at #LMMLinkup.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never read this classic! I want to see what I am missing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do love The Little Prince--so many nuggets of wisdome--and it sounds beautiful in French.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, Lydia - Thanks so much for this beautiful reminder. I love that book as much as "The Prophet" by Kahlil Gibran! - Angie, www.yourtrueselfblog.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still need to read that. I have a copy! Must get on with it.

      Delete