Wednesday 24 January 2024

Enjoying the best of Sydney

My longtime friend, we met in a hotel pool in Malaysia when we were 12, was visiting from England. She wanted an easy day to catch up so I picked her up and we drove up to Cottage Point for lunch and a swim. Enroute, I needed to put air into the tyres and apparently you have to pay for this in England! I can't get my head around this at all. Surely for safety it needs to be free. And it's air. And you'll probably buy something from the shop while you are there...However, I digress....


We caught up for hours, chatting nonstop while lying by the pool or swimming, with the noise of cicadas and surrounded by stunning views. It's the most relaxing day, even with the hour-long drive to get there.

We are a far cry from those young children who met and played on holidays, and then stayed loosely in touch. Yet nothing has changed. We covered off on politics, the apparent rage issue Sydney has (she had noticed it too), ageing, our kids, our husbands, our travel plans, her friends (some of whom I've never met but she has mentioned to me - she thinks it's funny that I ask about them, but it's almost like characters in a book - I feel I know them because every five years or so I get an update, A bit like the 7up documentary), menopause and of course, our recent holidays. It was in part, the same conversation I would have with any other friend. A sign of a good friendship, when time & distance creates no barrier. 

I dropped her to where she was staying and then raced home before heading out. I had tickets to Night Songs at Coney Island as a date night for my husband and I, and it would have been such a romantic evening but alas he felt sick so stayed home. It was too last minute for anyone to come so I set off solo.


You were taken on an old ferry for a tour around the harbour at sunset with a band playing music. Moon River melodically accompanying the giant full moon on the rise as the pink hues grew across the sky. It was beautiful. Finally, we arrived at shimmering lights of Luna Park. 








The band proceeded to play in the fairground before we all made our way into Coney Island. Alas no photos allowed in there but after a quick go in the Mirror Maze, the immersive show began. The orchestra was sectioned off in the Joy Wheel and we could walk around while the choristers moved around and performed near us. They were on the walkways, up the stairs of the slides (at one point zipping down the slides), shooting paper planes past us and so on. It was a fully immersive experience with 200 or so voices telling a tale of war and the loss of children in the fallout. It was beautiful yet very sad and disturbing.

When it was over, the boat took us back across the inky black harbour that was capturing the sparkling lights of the city. The boat played recorded jazz swing standards by Glenn Miller, a little cheerier way to end the evening.





It was a glorious way to enjoy this beautiful city of mine. A brilliant idea by those organisers of the Festival of Sydney.







And that is what's been on my calendar. What's been on yours?


Linking with #ThruMyLens #SundayBest #TravelTuesday #WednesdayAroundtheWorld #MCoW #WBOYC  and #NaturesNotes for the Cottage Point (& sunset) photos #WaterThursday

17 comments:

  1. I promise I will get to Sydney one day, I've been wanting to visit there for years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love all the water and bridge views. Take care, have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so cool that you met your friend in a hotel pool when you were 12 and have kept in touch all of those years. That would make a great premise for a book! <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now I know the stories behind the instagram photos. How lovely it was to read about your friend and also the trip around the harbour in the old style ferry.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful and interesting description of your meeting with an old friend, a whole story in itself, topped by your ferry boat tour and exciting encounter with the choristers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That sounds like such a wonderful day! So sorry that your husband was feeling too sick for such a unique sounding date night.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Lydia what a wonderful time you had with your friend catching up and seeing some sights. My goodness you bring back memories for me growing up in Sydney. We would catch those old ferries to Circular Quay and of course Luna Park has had a facelift. I loved Coney Island as a child. Mike and I are hoping to get to Sydney this year. I want to show him around my home town as he has only ever visited for work. Thanks for sharing at #WBOYC? and have a beautiful weekend. x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Lydia, those were two extraordinary experiences! Having a friend since you were 12 and keeping the friendship going even though you rarely see each other is really great - how wonderful that you were able to meet. (By the way: In Austria it's free to add air to your tires. Like you, I think it's absurd and dangerous to charge money for it.) Sydney is beautiful - especially the views of the opera house and the bridge that you show. The event you're talking about sounds exciting, but also really sad at times. It's a shame your husband couldn't accompany you!
    All the best, Traude
    PS: I'll send you an email - please check your spam folder :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. A beautiful city indeed! I really enjoyed both your beautiful photos and your narrative.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hy Lydia, this looks like an amazing time. The city, your friend's visit, music and a ferry ride to Luna park - how much fun!! Thanks for jining us for #WBOYC

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lydia...wonderful photos and I would love to visit...Michelle..I had to go and remind myself about Ping and it does look like that regarding my duckling post...Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks like you had a great time reconnecting with your friends and then the concert or event sounds wonderful even though it was disturbing. You got some great photos of the sky and harbor.

    ReplyDelete
  14. sounds like you had a wonderful day catching up with your long time friend. Wonderful to have friends like that where distance and time mean nothing. Sorry you had to go to the evening show solo. Enjoy your week. I am joining you at My Corner of the World linkup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I go to a lot of gigs solo but this one would have been lovely and romantic, at least for the ferry ride bits...

      Delete
  15. Always awesome to catch up with friends and so happy that you both enjoyed it. Sorry about your date night, hopefully he's better now.
    I visited you via TRAVEL TUESDAY 429 - DRESDEN, GERMANY
    My link: 13+14. I hope you will join us weekly at Wed-Sat at #WordlessWednesday (words welcome) https:// esmesalon . com / tag /

    ReplyDelete
  16. A lovely series of photos, bringing back memories of my last visit there a few years ago, Lydia. Thanks for taking part in the "My Sunday Best" meme.

    ReplyDelete