Monday 29 January 2024

“In the end, it’s not the years in your life that count. It’s the life in your years.” – Abraham Lincoln

 

A friend and I went to the closing party of the Festival of Sydney. Before we went in, we chatted to a woman who was there by herself. She didn't come in with us but later, I saw her enter and I waved her over. So she joined us while we were sitting and talking. She had decided last minute to come, having seen the main act give an art talk the night before.

When we went to dance, I included her but she didn't come with us. After about 10 minutes she joined us and we all danced together. She had obviously thought it over and decided 'why not?' My friend and I decided to leave early before the main act came on and she pleaded "Don't go! It will get better!" It was 10.30 on a Sunday night though so we just weren't into it enough to stay (and we have Rudimentals on Tuesday so plenty of dancing ahead of us).

On the way home I said to my friend "That's great that she's still going out and doing fun things at her age". Then I paused and asked my friend "Was she my age? Do I look like that?" Maybe that's what I look like when I go to bands by myself? I honestly don't know how old I look to people, and how old other people are anymore. Maybe I never did, and I'm just more aware of it (or self conscious about it).

Either way, just in the same way people talk to me when I'm at a gig by myself, we swept her up into our group. I suddenly realised she was exactly like me - she may have grown older than the people that like to do certain things but not ready to stop enjoying them. It was like seeing myself in a mirror, so to speak. 

May you never give up on what you enjoy, even if you have no one who wants to come along and do it too. You just miss out on too much if you let that slow you down.

“Nobody grows old merely by living a number of years. We grow old by deserting our ideas. Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up enthusiasm wrinkles the soul.” – Samuel Ullman


Linking with #MondayMusicMovesMe  #FriendshipFriday #KeithsRamblings   #TrafficJamReboot #FineWhatever (because dancing is one of my passions) 





17 comments:

  1. I'm 72 and love your quote. It's ever so true. I've lived life to its fullest and intend to do so until the end.

    Thank you for joining the Happy Tuesday Blog Hop.

    Have a fabulous Happy Tuesday. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so true and I love that you invited her into your group. That Abraham Lincoln is one of my faves - and now I'm adding that Samuel Ullman one to my quotey (is that even a word?) repetorie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so lovely Lydia to have invited her to join your group. I'm 66 and don't really think of myself as an age. I do things I enjoy rather than thinking 'am I too old for this'. I love your attitude of doing things and living life whether with other people or solo. #nevertooold

    ReplyDelete
  4. You do so many interesting things, Lydia. I always enjoy hearing about them. It's nice that you included this woman in your group. The more the merrier, right? #WWWhimsy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always learn more about you here and sense the immense kindness that I also know you have is about sharing the good. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great words to live by Lydia, age isn't about the numbers I've decided! How lovely of you to include her in your circle :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. OH I am so awful at guessing people's ages too! That was so kind of you to include her.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely story and so nice of you to include her so warmly! Oh my gosh I think the same thing when I see people around my age. They usually look so much older than I think I look. I think I might be a bit delusional! lol Thanks so much for linking up with #WWWhimsy - have a great week! xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great and admirable of you to include this lady into your group. As for guessing age, I have never been able to do it, so I have decided not to even try as I may embarrass others or myself in the process.
    Thanks for showcasing the SSPS image on your post and for participating and sharing at SSPS 296. See you again next week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A delightful piece ending with the perfect quote!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Some mornings I feel like a spring lamb and some I fell like a 100-year-old egg... Don't care what I look like, but if I do something I do it with all my heart and that's what matters. Great post, Lydia! Thanks for taking part in the "My Sunday Best" meme.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The lights at night look so pretty, love the reflections too.
    It is true, we should never give up, our age should not slow us down.
    Take care, have a great day and happy new week!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm not that great in guessing ages. On the flip side, I've been told many times by co-workers that I look younger than my chronological age (71). I don't know if I would have the courage to attend a festival by myself though - I am so introverted. But I still love fun! Enjoyed your song selection, too. Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. I may be a little late, but I made it. Wasn't feeling that great so I slept late... plus went to bed to late what a combination... Luvin' you your tune my friend and thank you so much for joinin' us!!! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great quotes - definitely words to live by. And how cool you were kind and swept up the solo woman into your group! I think I'd venture out on solo adventures more if there were more people out there like you! :) And I LOVE the song! Thanks for the introduction!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Age is just a number. When we cave in then we allow the aging to take hold. Stay young at heart always, enjoy every second of every day of your life, darlin'! Thanks for joining the 4M party. Have a boogietastic week! ;)

    ReplyDelete