Wednesday 17 January 2024

January Reading

Butch ado about nothing - My Christmas present to myself was getting the new Grace Petrie shirt and her script of her show for Edinburgh Festival. When she was in Sydney she posted about finding a venue to practice it in front of an audience and I listed (and tagged) every local venue I could think of. I was so excited! It was so close but didn't happen. She said she would bring it back but it appears not. So I did the next best thing. As I've seen her lots of times, I can read it in her voice. Very funny, very sad and for a white, hetro (read non minority, fits in with society's 'norms') female,it's an insight in to how hard we make it for certain
people. She seems to think that is changing, and I'm glad it is. She is coming to sing at Canberra Folk Festival and I'm hoping for a Sydney date but I will travel (and cheaper than going to Melbourne to see her like I did last year). While I know this is books not music, here's the Ikea song.


On the recommendation of a number of people in this link up, I read (well, actually listened to Truman Capote reading his) Christmas Memory. Free on youtube for those interested. It's charming and sweet with s dash of sadness. Lovely stuff.



Who is Mr. Satoshi? I read this because it was set in Japan, so knew nothing else about it. I found it an enjoyable, easy read (though it has a ridiculous male fantasy sex scene where a young woman likes an older man - which I didn't buy at all). The 'mystery' is interesting and engaging and the lines about dementia are quite lovely and poetically accurate.


  

14 comments:

  1. Hi, Lydia - Thank you for being a regular at 'What's On Your Bookshelf.' I always looks forward to your contributions. And thank you for the introduction to Grace Petrie. I hadn't heard her before but will definitely be looking out for more of her work. I'm delighted that you enjoyed 'A Christmas Memory.' I didn't realize that there was also an audio version read by Truman Capote. That is definitely on the top of my list to listen to next Christmas! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lydia, thanks for highlighting the Truman Copote recording. I watched it and really enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another one thanking you for highlighting the audio version of Capote’s novel. After seeing all the recommendations last month I had a look but my library didn’t have it in their catalogue so this way I am able to listen and enjoy and not miss out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As always, Lydia I love your eclectic selections. I've not heard of Grace Petrie (don't shoot me) but would like to add more non fiction to my reading this year. I might just start with your recommendation. Donna, my co-host had suggested 'A Christmas Memory' by Truman Capote but I didn't get around to reading it. I'll listen to the audio. Thanks so much for joining us at #WOYBS and have a great week. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, a couple of people in your reading group posted about it. A great seasonal suggestion.

      Delete
  5. I'd never heard of Grace Petrie but went right down the rabbithole to find out more. Thanks for linking up with us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't heard of Grace Petrie, but you are clearly a big fan and she sounds like an interesting person.
    Popping over from Book Worms Monthly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's a folk singer (a protest singer, I think she calls herself) She's currently touring the UK. She's so brilliant. I went to her by accident - a freind whose a fan of The Guilty Feminist took me to see her (I don't listen to that podcast so knew nothing about anything, it was just local so why not?) Anyway, I've now seen her 5 or 6 times - any time she comes to Australia I try not to miss her. She's a brillant performer.

      Delete
  7. Another great post for What's on your bookshelf Lydia, thanks for highlighting some fab books!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm excited to join the WOYB party. My making my way around to see what everyone else is reading. I've not heard of any of these or Grace Petrie. :) I like her voice

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never heard of Grace Petrie - off to check her out! I love getting recommendations for books, music and films

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks so much for participating and sharing at SSPS 294. See you again next week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for sharing on Bookworms Monthly, I've featured your post. I've noticed that when reading Japanese books a lot of the authors have different approaches to s*x scenes.

    ReplyDelete