Saturday 10 February 2024

February Reading

In a Strange Room - I loved this book. It's an ode to travelling and travellers as well as a story of difficult friendships and mental illness. Damon Galgut is a masterful writer and has a brilliant turn of phrase at time.I really enjoyed this book and found it engrossing but also with beautiful phrasing.







Bila Yarrudhanggalangdhuray -  I found the book interesting but by the end, I really wanted it to finish. I did learnt a lot but I found it a bit heavy handed (not in the confronting or uncomfortable sense but in the clunky 'here, learn about this' sense). I really liked the way she made the white character, Louisa think she was doing the right things but really always holding onto her privilege and status to be whipped out when she wanted her way. I thought that was great characterisation (and very realistic). It's engaging enough though.





After Story - I really enjoyed this. So much too it. I felt the way it wove the Indigenious beliefs and history, the racism and Australian aspects of the story were much more seamless than in Blia Yindyamarra. I found the look at addiction, or why people drink really well done, and of course, the literary tour of England equally fascinating. I went on a google trail of Conan Doyle and Faries. I had somehow missed all that. Great book. Devoured it in two days.





Not a book but Audible has a free show by Alan Cummings. A variation of the show he brought out here. Fun listen if you like him or cabaret. Interesting look at immigration.

Linking with #WOYBS #FriendshipFriday #TrafficJamReboot #MonthlyBookWorms  #SeniorSalonPitstop #Bookdate and #AnythingGoes 

My Random Musings
 



I have included one of the songs Alan Cummings loves to sing. It's so joyful when he does it...



17 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing these books.
    I like Alan Cummings, he is joyful.
    Take care, have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love to read "legal immigrant".....
    thank you for sharing videos

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am amazed at how Alan Cummings can speak in a flawless American accent for certain roles.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always appreciate book reviews and recommendations.
    Visiting today from #AnythingGoes Linky 406 #7,8&9

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds like you've read some good books lately. I like the sound of both In a Strange Room and After Story.
    Popping over from Book Worms Monthly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always enjoy your reviews Lydia because you read 'different' books with substance. I will be reading After Story or I notice from your image that is only available on Audible so will listen to it. Thanks for sharing at #WOYBS? Happy Reading! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, it's in book form. I was just lazy getting my pictures!

      Delete
    2. You will like After story cos of the Jane Austen and Charles Dickens aspects...among other things....

      Delete
  7. I’m not sure if it’s the same book as I’m thinking about (and gave up on) but I’m wondering if the Galgut book is one where ‘the traveller’ meets another person who keeps turning up in different places same time as the main character?
    As Sue mentioned you have a knack of finding and reading so much that none of us have discovered. A good skill to have.
    Cathy #WOYBS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After a fight, so maybe....but I wouldn't have described it like that (but maybe that's the only bit you remember)

      Delete
    2. You beleive what I'm reading now! It was recommended off someone on Twitter...I can barely believe it myself...But will have to wait til next month.

      Delete
  8. Sounds like a wonderful month of books.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really enjoyed After Story but had exactly the same feeling as you did about the Anita Heiss. Will definitely be checking out Alan Cumming's Legal Immigrant. Thanks for linking up with us.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, Lydia - Thank you for sharing with us at #WOYBC. I love the wide range of diverse books that you read and review. The Alan Cumming audio sounds like great fun!

    ReplyDelete
  11. After Story was a great literary trip with a good story as well. Lots of good books again Lydia and I remember reading the Anita Heiss one a while ago and didn't mind it but I get what you were saying about it. Thanks for linking up with us for WOYBS this month.

    ReplyDelete
  12. In a Strange Room sounds interesting. I've heard good things about After Story and of course it's received a lot of praise and accolation as well so sounds like it's deserved.

    ReplyDelete
  13. After Story looks fascinating, I'm gonna have to take a look.

    ReplyDelete