Tuesday 20 February 2024

Sydney Mardi Gras


February sees the city turn read and then rainbow as Lunar New Year morphs into three weeks of Mardi Gras. The protest has turned into a pride celebration and this is one thing the city does right. I know people don't like the commerical buy in (pinkwashing as they say) but I think it does look good to see the city all dressed up and supportive.


The absolute winner this year however, is a local light shop with this in the window.

Last night there were even rainbow fireworks (at least we think, we couldn't work out why they were on...but there were multicoloured ones so that's our guess....but those pics didn't work out) 




I know I share this song all the time but just in case you haven't heard it....

11 comments:

  1. I like all the colours, I've never been to a mardi gras before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mardi Grass in Sydney? I thought it will be celebrated in New Orleans?....It´s good, that the city is colourful in any meaning of this word. And Barbie...obviously everywhere....
    Have a good time and all the best
    Violetta

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mardi Gras is huge in Sydney. It's a 3 week celebration of Pride for the LBGT community that started from a protest in the 70's.

      Delete
  3. ...Lydia, I love your colorful Mardi Gras post, I be back with my new post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Where did you find the peacock?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's at pub near the Dendy (we were grabbing a drink before the movies. I think it's called Coopers? Or Courtyard? Will google

      Delete
    2. Upstairs at the Coopers. They have rainbow stairs too.

      Delete
  5. I agree, Barbil takes the prize! :-) Thanks for hosting, Lydia, hope you're well and not too busy. Nick from MAP

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is so cool. Love it. Barbil is the best. Thanks for hosting and I hope that you have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely photos of coloured up Sydney!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such bright and bold beautiful pictures. Thank you for sharing and thanks for linking up with #MySundaySnapshot.

    ReplyDelete