Sunday 28 April 2024

April Reading

 This month I managed a few more books, though not as many as I thought on holiday - I packed three and only read one.



I really like Adam Kay. I've read his other books, watched the tv show and was very disappointed to miss both his gigs up the road for the comedy festival (I was away for one and had a play with friends on the other).

This book is funny and sad (with some difficult topics) and as always interesting.

If you haven't read any of his work, I'd start with This is going to hurt before this, though technically it doesn't matter.



This is a book club pick and I'm labouring thru it. There's nothing wrong and the different culture should make it more interesting than it is, but it's just a little long for what it is and that's making me not care enough, I think. I'm halfway though and I feel it needed to be shaved down a bit, though to be fair, it's not a book I would pick up at all normally....


When I travel, I like books set where I am visiting. This is a modern day Singapore setting, and is about African expats, predominately Nigerian. It adds an interesting twist in the story telling (in Singapore), and extra texture to an expat tale.

I had low expectations as I thought it would be basic chick lit and romance but it was enjoyable and more unexpected than I thought it would be.

It also visited a lot of Singapore that I knew and the restuarant we had booked even got a mention that gave me a buzz!

So while not a must read, if going to Singapore it's a fun and easy read to get you in the mood.






Just started this for bookclub, some great stories by authors and their expereince growing up. A lot of migrant stories, indigeneous stories and childhood memories. This series is a great way to taste writers work. There's a broad range of topics, the only other one I've read is Growing Up Queer in Australia. I do plan to read the Disability one.


That's what I've been reading - how about you?


Linking with #WeekendCoffeeShare #MonthlyBookWorms #WowonWednesday #SundaySalon #Bookdate #Seniorsalonpitstop #StakingtheShelves














15 comments:

  1. Interesting books, the Singapore one sounds good and the fact that you visited there makes it more so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a good reading month.

    I find vacations are either tons of reading time or hardly any time to read at all. There's very little in between.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lydia,

    I'd definitely pass the first one. I was recently forced to buy this book by a first time author I know, when I was browsing at the boom store, as she was hell bent on giving me a signed copy. lol!
    Titled Cupid at Corporate. I'd never read anything like that.

    The others sound quite promising though.
    Lived in Singapore, therefore I assume I may enjoy the Singapore novella.

    Cheers!
    Natasha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also have you stopped hosting your blog hop?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's back. Anzac day (is the title of the one that's open). I just didn't do it while i was on holidays.

      Delete
  5. Your books look really good. I hope you enjoy them. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting looking assortment of books. All are new to me. Come see my week here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read and enjoyed Brick Lane long ago by Monica Ali. I'm always intrigued by books about cultures outside my own.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never read any Adam Kay, I might give him a try one day, just being so dependent on the NHS makes me wary. I like reading books about different cultures and countries though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stephen @ Reading Freely2 May 2024 at 14:47

    I didn't realize Kay had written another work. I enjoyed his first, so I'll look for this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's also a Christmas one - great gift for Drs...

      Delete
  10. Always nice when a book surprises you and turns out to be much more than you originally anticipated it would be. We just finished reading The Hidden Life of Cecily Larson in my book club. It was interesting and touched on a number of social issues but tied everything up in a happily ever after.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved This is Going to Hurt, so should give Undoctored a go. It must have been nice to recognise the places (and even the restaurant) in The Sun Sets in Singapore.
    Popping over from Book Worms Monthly.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'll have to check out Kay's books. I love that type of book but for whatever reason never got into reading his works.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm about to start Our Missing Hearts by Celeste Ng. I read her previous two books and enjoyed them. Thank you for your weekend coffee share.

    ReplyDelete