Wednesday 6 March 2019

Twenty Years


Today is our twentieth wedding anniversary. Twenty seven years together in total. Sounds like a long time, but really doesn't feel like it, even with an extra adult in the house and a high schooler not that far of it...those little baby days still don't seem that far behind me. (In fact yesterday at the supermarket, I let a woman whose baby was crying jump the queue in front of me because the cries were bringing those hormonal tears to my eyes. When she thanked me profusely, I said 'My oldest is 18 and that sound still taps into those memories as if it was yesterday!')

We are off to a wedding tomorrow, and I just discovered it's formal. So I dug out my wedding dress and thankfully it fits. A little lumpy in the wrong places but I'll wear it, because I still love it and it looks great (not as great on me, just great). I'm glad I broke tradition for our wedding, and I'm glad I've had a many opportunities to wear it over the years.

Our big celebration & present was the trip to Bora Bora sans enfants (a first in forever!) so it's a low key celebration at home tonight. I'm popping into to his work for lunch together but we were out last night and the wedding tomorrow, so home tonight is where we will be. And home is what our life together has created, so I guess that's the most fitting place to be to and celebrate.

'Chains do not hold a marriage together. It is threads, hundreds of tiny threads, which sew people together through the years.' Simone Signoret

or as my husband says "You get less for murder!"


Loving my life this week, in small ways and big milestones.

What are you loving?

Linking with #TimelessThursdays because I love all the memories that come flooding back when I wear the dress again!

33 comments:

  1. Happy Anniversary! How great is it that you still fit into your wedding dress! It looks like a beautiful dress too! #TeamLovinLife

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations - on both the years and the dress! Both are pretty mega feats. Happy anniversary to you both - here's looking at many more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Anniversary and I love the dress. Wishing you both continued happiness and wonderful moments together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, you are amazing. Love to you both for your Wedding Anniversary! Enjoy. Denyse x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations to you both! I just glanced at some Bora Bora photos, wow! It's funny I used to think of 20 years as a long time but now it's just a drop in the bucket.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No truer words spoken. It sounds a long time but so fleeting.

      Delete
  6. I love that your dress is / was black!

    Happy anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Went back to re-read this after your wrap-up post and realise of course it's purple and black. It looks intricate and I love that you broke with tradition and can re-wear it. (And still fit into it!)

      Delete
  7. Oh I like that quote. Sometimes marriage can feel like such hard work, but a simple little quote can change your perspective x Happy anniversary! I don't think my wedding dress would even fit around my middle anymore!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Anniversary!!!! I am so happy that you have been able to use your wedding dress so many times... what a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Anniversary to you and the hubster! Many more too! That is wonderful. Nothing is better than love! #kcacols xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations! Wishing you many more years.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Anniversary!! My husband and I celebrating 6 years last Thursday (March 7)!! :) #KCACOLS

    ReplyDelete
  12. HAPPY ANNIVERSARY, I've never re worn my dress, it was my intention to do so and it still fits me #triumphanttales

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Anniversary! OK, it is cool that you broke from tradition for your wedding but it is even ore awesome that it still fits! You Go!!!!

    Thank you for participating in #KCACOLS!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh that’s lovely, happy anniversary! Hubby and I celebrated 18 years as married a couple of weeks ago. He uses the same expression as your husband, about getting less for murder, lol! X #KCACOLS

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy anniversary! I love that you have gotten to wear your dress so much over the years! I'm sure it always bring back wonderful memories every time you put it on! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ah, Happy Anniversary to you both. Thanks for sharing with #TriumphantTales

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy anniversary to you both! I love that dress. I think one of the only downsides of a traditional white wedding dress is it'll never get worn again most of the time. I celebrate by wearing my wedding jewelry on our anniversary. #KCACOLS

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy Anniversary and congratulations on so many years together. What a fab wedding dress - I love wedding dresses that are a bit different to normal. Thanks for joining us for the #dreamteam linky.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congrats to you both Lydia and well done on your wedding dress selection! #openslather

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a lovely quote about marriage! I had to check the date you wrote this due to current COVID restrictions! Isn't it 'funny' how times have changed?

      Delete
  20. Twenty years, what an achievement. Congratulations! #twinklytuesday

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow 20 years! Happy anniversary and happy celebrating x #TriumphantTales

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love that you're reposting this. I still adore that quote about all the tinythreads that bind us together.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Happy anniversary! I love that you still fit into your wedding dress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not so sure after ISO...ha! Been busy fattening the curve!

      Delete
  24. I love weddings - how exciting. Sadly most people in my age group are divorcing these days.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love that you broke tradition with your wedding dress! I've never understood the white dress you wear only once concept.

    ReplyDelete
  26. A very special anniversary to re-celebrate! Thanks so much for linking up for Life This Week. Next week, the optional prompt is 20/51 Share Your Snaps #4. 18.5.2020 and I look forward to catching you linking up there too. Warm wishes, Denyse.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh such a looovely dress Lydia! One of my classic favorite colors, midnight blue!

    ReplyDelete