Sunday 31 March 2019

What I learnt from Dumbo

Without giving too much away, for anyone that doesn't know the story, there is a line in Dumbo that got me thinking:

'Your children don't need you to be perfect, they just need you to believe in them"

Now I know it's more complicated than that, this parenting business, but I'm watching people wanting to be actors and being pushed into degrees they really aren't interested in. I think perhaps we need to let them try, and possibly fail, then try something else. That's far more important than to regret not trying at all because our parents didn't ever believe in them enough. I don't think we really need to set out with a 'Plan B'. Like in the story that Mandy Patinkin told, maybe there's determination that we parents don't see through fear.  At least try when you are young, when you don't have dependants - that's the time to give these things a go.

Throughout the film, there are reminders to believe in yourself and others. Subliminal messaging and signage. Maybe it's time to back ourselves, and our children a little more.

Maybe it's time to let go of fear and our magic feather, and create the impossible.

As for the film, I liked it. My daughter found it very sad, I thought they'd dialed back on both the sadness and Tim Burtonesque appearance, which was a little disappointing but probably for appealing to the younger audience. Don't go in with expectations too high and you'll pass an enjoyable two hours.

Linking with #ParentPower (because I needed to read it and I may've dropped the ball on this with one of the kids this week...)



loopyloulaura

12 comments:

  1. Oh that is such a true phrase, believing in your child gives them inner confidence in themselves #TwinklyTuesday

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree. We need to believe in them - helping them gain that confidence before they're sent in to the big bad world. They need to believe the people who love them the most are 100% behind them. What a lovely take away from a lovely movie x #TwinklyTuesday

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this quote, it's so true. If we believe in our kids, they will believe in themselves too. I can't wait to watch this film! #TwinklyTuesday

    ReplyDelete
  4. great quote. Haven't seen the movie yet but its on the list #dreamteam

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a great quote. And all the yes's to believing in our child and ourselves too. We saw Dumbo and absolutely loved it! Thanks for joining us for the #dreamteam

    ReplyDelete
  6. it's a very tricky line for a parent, sometimes we have to draw the line to some of our kids dreams and wants, especially if it involves finances #triumphanttales

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've always been of the mindset it is better to have tried and failed then to regret not trying. #TriumphantTales

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great quote! I have been wondering about this movie and debating about taking my boys. #KCACOLS

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think you're right... When I was growing up, I'd often hear (both from my parents and others) things like "that's all very good but you'll need a proper job as well". And then I grew up, and eventually realised that I had friends who were actually making a living doing all those things that weren't quite seen as "proper jobs"; People I know from childhood are, for example, musicians, artists, photographers, professional in sports, running their own businesses based around their personal interests, etc. And when thinking about it, they all had parents who were supportive and didn't build mental barriers in the minds of their children. Whereas I tried to get things "right" at every turn and still ended up disappointing my parents by leaving work to care full-time for my disabled child. There you go... Thank you so much for linking up with #KCACOLS, hope you join again next time! x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don’t actually remember the movie having only watched it as a child. I think I cried when I watched it then. I’ll have to go watch it again. Thank you for sharing with #parentpower

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have just had parents' evening for my older two and they were glowing after such wonderful reports. Both of them need to believe in themselves as much as I do! Thanks for linking up with #parentpower

    ReplyDelete