Thursday 14 December 2023

December Reading

Fun Home - This is a graphic novel but dealing with some very complex family dynamics. She links parrallels and quotes both Camus and Fitzgerald, both of home I loved. It deals with suicide and homophobia so there is a fair bit of uncomfortable tragedy in the tragi-comic tale. I thought it was good, but it wouldn't be for everyone. I beleive it was on recently in Sydeny as a play, but I didn't go.







Under the Net by Iris Murdoch. We did this for bookclub. I found it funny and entertaining but I didn't get into it, and it was an effort by the end. I've no idea why, because when we discussed it, there was a lot I liked about it. 

Russian Sleeper Cell by Nathan Monk. I really liked his first book which was more of a look at society and an insight into how the world view has changed for Millenials (due to the damage on way of life left for them, and how expectations of the older generations no longer fit reality as even a possibilty). This is more of a normal crime book so far. But we shall see...while only halfway through, there's been some interesting observations on Christianity, charity and politics.

I Don't. Clementine Ford's book on how society maintains the patriachal push for marriage & why it does so. I found it very interesting, even if I didn't 100% agree with everything she said. I'm married and I was a stay at home mum, my choice when my second child turned three, and I view that as a luxury that my marriage afforded me, rather than a systemic enforcement of poverty and inequity. However, I agree with the chapter on the diamond ring and the fairy tale brainwashing. I do think it's interesting the way we talk about it and focus on it. I have to say, I have been noticing the ring focus in engagement instagram reels since reading this book. Ha! Again it won't be for everyone but I think she tosses around a few ideas worth thinking about.



Linking with #MonthlyBookworms and #WOYBS






16 comments:

  1. Thank you for joining us for #WOYBS. Your featured reads each looks fascinating - and very thought-provoking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love to read "Russian Sleeper Cell".... interesting for me...
    Thank you for sharing review

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is certainly an interesting list Lydia and I haven't heard of the Clementime Ford book but it would be good to read! thanks for joining us for #WOYBS.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting books and thanks for the reviews. Take care, have a great day and happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Lydia, I don't know any of these books. Of the authors, I only know Iris Murdoch because I saw the very interesting film "Iris" about her Alzheimer's disease. As for the book "I Don't.", I find it interesting that it wasn't written 50 years ago. As a young woman, I never wanted to get married because I had the feeling that we women were forced into a role and that films, fairy tales, etc. manipulated us until we wanted it ourselves. The fact that I am now married was my own decision - and it was a very good one that didn't force me to do anything that I didn't want.
    You wrote to me about female composers that you were "astounded women didn't rise up and demand to be recognized (if not equality) before". I believe that we women are still a bit away from equality, as can be seen in the way women are rewarded for their work or art. And it was probably the case for centuries that women allowed themselves to be persuaded that they were not as good as men. When you do something and everyone just smiles about it, you stop believing in yourself. I think that's what happened to most women in the art world.
    All the best and happy Advent days,
    Traude
    ☕πŸ§ΈπŸ·πŸ•―️☃️πŸ•―️
    https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2023/12/weihnachtliche-lichter-klimts.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The book covers a lot of that, selling the idea to women that it's what they want & their ultimate goal.

      Delete
  6. Funny enough my husband and mother in law tried really hard to get me to NOT be a stay at home with our kids but I really rather insisted and I too think of it as privilege; particularly since we were able to work it out that I was able to homeschool them as well and have all sorts of wonderful adventures with my boys. I'll have to check that book out; I think I'd find it really interesting too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's interesting the backlash she gets for the book. While I am not 100% with her on every point, I can see that there is validity in the argument for a lot of people.

      Delete
  7. Hi Lydia, I admire the genres that you read and sometimes I feel a bit superficial when I look at my reading list. Some very interesting books which I will look to add to my list for 2024. I love our WOYBS link up because we can share our love of reading and also hear about books we might not necessarily read. I do hope you will join us again in to share our love of reading in 2024. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You read so many! And you do classics and current so I think you still cover a broad range...

      Delete
  8. These all sound like interesting reads in different ways. I've never come across any of them, but I particularly like the sound of Fun Home.
    Popping over from Book Worms Monthly.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the great book reviews! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've not read any of those books Lydia... (and also don't read non-fiction). I must confess I tend to shy away from Clem Ford (in general, on social media etc) but don't know why...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you were going to start with one of her books, Fight Like a Girl would be it. She's very smart. I had initially avoided her books because I thought she was some ditzy radio host (?) and then a friend said "I think you think she's X.." and I realised I'd mixed her up with someone else and had no idea who she was. So I got Fight like a Girl and really enjoyed it. They're idea and thinking books.

      Delete
  11. Some thought provoking reads there. It's interesting what you said about Under The Net - there have been books we've read in Book Club where I didn't feel as though I got into it, yet the book has stayed with me long after teh discussion ended.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A couple of very thought-provoking reads on your list, and I can see how they wouldn't be for everyone. Happy Reading and Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete