Wednesday 1 November 2017

Meditation - yay or nay?

I'm in the nay camp, I'm afraid. I can barely do yoga, let alone sit still with a blank mind.
However, there are three things that have the same affect for me as meditation.

1. Going to movies. I go by myself, to preferably a half full session so no one sits near me. In the dark, in the cool, and focused out of my thoughts, I come out feeling refreshed.

2. Archery. I know, weird right? You have to concentrate on your physical, on your breathing and on a small spot in the distance. You have to tune out the distractions around you. It's so relaxing and zen. I love it.

3. Taking photographs as I walk around my day to day world. It makes me zoom in on what's around me, I focus on the present (not what's in my head), and I see beauty and interest everywhere.

So 3 tips for meditation for the non-meditator.

What do you do if you can't meditate?

Linking with #Blogtober21

5 comments:

  1. I've never really meditated before and I suspect my mind will wonder too much to be successful but I'm going to give it a go using Denyse's free session suggestion.

    Ingrid
    http://www.fabulousandfunlife.blogspot.com,au

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lydia, I like your list for those that find it hard to centre and clear their minds. Instead of archery, I go running :-P

    SSG xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you - I tend to be actively mindful. My preferred method used to be swimming up a black line, these days it's walking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes for your mindful list. This is awesome. I first discovered my ability to be mindful each time I went out taking photos. I guess that is something which led me to meditation. And remember you don't empty your mind in meditation...you just let the thoughts come and go!! Thank you for linking up for #lifethisweek 43/52. Next week: My Last Year at High School.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a nay from me too. I have tried meditation before and just end up thinking of random things. Going to the movies is a great way to relax x

    ReplyDelete