Tuesday 14 November 2017

Taking Stock - November

This month has flown - exams, our first HSC assessments, and a myriad of doctors appointments and other mundane things not worth mentioning.



However, I saw a great play, Give me your love by Ridiculusmus on MDMA therapy for PTSD at the Seymour. Funny, sad and left me thinking for days.

I read The Scandal, that lead to much discussion in bookclub, especially about how we use words to manipulate and take sides and I am currently learning about the Finnish Education revolution.







I went to the fabulously fun Sip My Ocean at the MCA. If in Sydney over the holidays, definitely make time to check it out.











I have tickets to the superb Fefe's gig next week. I am SO excited as I thought I was missing him because I am away for SFSC in January. However, the Gods were smiling on me! You do not want to miss him if you are in Sydney, Melbourne or Adelaide in January. Tickets are here. He's so much FUN!! It's a fab day out and kids under 12 are free.


 
Lastly, today the nation voted YES. I am very happy that this fiasco is over. I will admit I am disappointed at the high percentage of NO's; even in the top YES electorates, it was still 20% No.  I am saddened at the damage this futile process has done, as we all know the actual marriages won't happen any time soon. Please think of the LBGTQI children in a NO household, who might now be too terrified to ever come out. Think of how they must feel, knowing what their parents think of them? Think of the sense of shame a scared child would feel, being bombarded with the rhetoric of the last six weeks. For that, this process was not worth it. Nor was it ever worth the extra money spent on something that we actually already pay the government to do. My only silver lining in the YES result is those LBGTQI people living in NO households and areas know that overall, the country respects them. Even if we had to be marched to the ballot rather than just treat them with the dignity every human deserves.


Linking with #ForthelvoeofBLOG and #LovinLifeLinky because after yesterday's YES vote and World Cup win, how can you not love where we live?!


Linking this last photo with #WeekendRelections, as it's taken through glass and you can see the heart reflected in the glass, and the shadow reflected on the wall.

20 comments:

  1. I'm so pleased there's finally an outcome on the gay marriage debate. What a huge waste of money and massive emotional cost for the LGBTQI community. Love is love. #TeamLovinLife

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing photos of 'Sip My Ocean' - the exterior of the MCA looks amazing and I need to venture in to see the exhibition soon.

    SSG xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm pleased about the YES vote as well though actually hoped it'd be higher. And sadly my own electorate was very marginal.

    I love that you do so much - visiting places and doing things. I'm so lazy about seeing new things / doing new stuff. I know I'm in a pretty small place now but I was the same even in the city! #teamlovinlife

    ReplyDelete
  4. What adventures you have! I'm so slack when it comes to visiting shows, exhibits and such. This makes me want to make more of an effort, what gorgeous things you've seen.

    I was the same about the YES vote. Considering the confusion caused for some by the No campaign, I'm not surprised. Always disappointed, but not surprised. I am so thankful that this part of the {totally unnecessary}process is over and we can move forward to formalise the laws.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You do make sure you have a really great cultural and social life and I applaud you for it. HSC is nearly done...yay. Love the YES building but agree do not like how we had to get it and I think there will still be criticism from the almost 1/3 who said NO. Sad state of affairs really. Denyse x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish I spent more time visiting places and seeing shows. Life is too short to not experience all these things.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't come across much of the campaign here in the UK but the relatively high proportion of No votes is so disappointing to see. As you say - at least the country can now move forward as a whole. Thanks for linking to #DreamTeam x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the pics from that MCA exhibition - sounds like something that would float my boat, so to speak.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, in the same way we don't try to stop them worshipping in churches or mosques, they shouldn't try to ban others in their rights.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Equality means ALL and I am stunned that it took so long for love to be recognised. Love the pictures by the way.x #KCACOLS

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aww you've had a fab month by the sounds of it, and I was so pleased to hear about the yes vote! This is just the icing on the cake for your month, right?! Great news going forward! There is definitely some good in the world, which is lovely! Thanks for linking this to #DreamTeam!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So pleased about the YES vote but agree it's sad that's it exposed such a divide. Very sad as you say for children living in NO households and the fear they may now have. But we have to focus on the step forward and hope that in time, more people become less judgemental and more accepting that we are all different and know that is ok x
    Thanks for joining #stayclassymama

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes, the whole SSM vote was pointless. It should have just been passed in Parliament without fanfare so that the gay community could just get on with their lives without the hurtful divides and now ‘protections’ currently in the debate.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love that you've done so many great art-related things over the past month! You're inspiring me to stop being so lazy. I'm also ecstatic about the Yes vote, but a little sad that more than 60% of my electorate voted no.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm so happy with the yes outcome too but horrified that a minority of yes voters are now actively targeting hairdressers and florists etc who were vocal no's.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great that the outcome is positive, time to move it forward and realise the great step that had finally been taken.
    Mainy
    #KCACOLS

    ReplyDelete
  17. There's not been much on the campaign over here but I am ever so pleased with the results too.


    Thank you for linking up to #KCACOLS

    ReplyDelete
  18. Well done on YES! So good to see proper acceptance. #kcacols

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great about YES! Sounds like a good month and some great photos! #KCACOLS

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm so pleased about the result but totally agree with you that there was way too much negativity surrounding it and it will have a bad impact on vulnerable and young people. Very sad. #fortheloveofBLOG

    ReplyDelete