Monday 20 November 2017

Yes men

I have noticed there are two types of people. The Yes men and the No men.  The Yes men are those friends that upon receiving an invite, respond quickly and enthusiastically. They may say No because they're busy, but they don't leave you hanging on the reply.

The No people may say yes but they take their time to tell you, and usually you have to chase their RSVP.

I for one, am very tired chasing RSVPs. I don't care if you come or not, but usually your NO means I can invite someone else, so an early response is appreciated. We had a party last year and I knew there was another party on the same night. As I had invited people I wasn't really close to, I presumed they would pick the other party, which I didn't really mind at all, as I'd only invited most of them to be social. What I did mind was that I had to chase about 20 of them for the RSVP. If you know you aren't going to come, why wouldn't you tell the host? The next party we had, I didn't bother inviting them because I couldn't be bothered chasing their RSVPs.

A friend was complaining how she had invited a number of people to a ticketed event, and by the time they had all decided, the tickets were sold out. She and I had gone alone because we booked immediately.

I understand life is complicated and it can be difficult to extricate yourself from obligations of family life but spare a thought for your friends trying to organise something. If you're invited, don't make them chase you. It's extra work for them and trust me, it moves you to the bottom of the list when they organise the next event. It's okay to say NO, just say it quickly...

Anyone who regularly does all the inviting will notice this pattern...and no doubt be infuriated by it.

Are you a YES or NO peep?

Linking with #StayClassyMama #TwinklyTuesday & #Dreamteam

18 comments:

  1. I find that so rude- JUST LET PEOPLE KNOW EITHER WAY!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what does my head in - people don't care if you don't come, they just need to know numbers!

      Delete
  2. Oh I hear this! I try as much as possible to commit straight away and stick with that decision. I tell you what disappoints me - the turn coats. The ones who are coming but then "something better comes along" and they ditch you. Commit gosh darn it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't get so much of that, but I do wonder if that's what the NO people are doing - hedging their bets. With the clash with the other party, I knew who'd be going to that, as they weren't really my friends and they were close to the other woman, so I didn't care, I just didn't get why they wouldn't tell me and I had to send 2 or 3 emails chasing the rsvp, when they could have told me the minute they got the other invite...?

      Delete
  3. I'm a yes person. I think that time delay thing shows a distinct lack of etiquette!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am increasingly frustrate by people not RSVP'ing at all! Does my head in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even if people don't organise parties or group events, they usually throw kids parties, and so must understand why you need to know numbers for catering...???

      Delete
  5. No people are very frustrating! Like you said it's okay to say no just say it quickly!

    Ingrid
    http://www.fabulousandfunlife.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooops.. I am one of these people that gets an invite and because it is so far away, I struggle planning that far so I kind of forget.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been on both sides of this! I try to rsvp straight away but sometimes forget and do it later! I hate when people leave it right to the last minute though. Thanks for linking up with #TwinklyTuesday

    ReplyDelete
  8. I let people know as soon as I do. And often that is immediately. So, I think that makes me a yes man. But sometimes I genuinely have to check schedules and coordinate things with other people, but as soon as I know, I do.

    The frustration is real though. Planning an event or outing is a nightmare. I always assume someone who doesn't reply in the affirmative, or respond saying they're taking a look, is a no. I agree, RSVP'ing seems to be something people suck at in 2017.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm a yes person, even when it comes to saying no, I'll just say it straight up. Are you coming to the Christmas Party? No. See it's easy!! I do like to say yes to as much as I can though. I think I'll regret the things I didn't try more than those I did, even if they go wrong. #StayClassyMama

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's okay to say no. People are busy. It's the having to be chased for an answer that's problematic...

      Delete
  10. I hate this, why can't they just give you an answer X #stayclassymama

    ReplyDelete
  11. You're so right it's just bad manners, especially if it's for a ticketed event where time is of the essence!! #DreamTeam

    ReplyDelete
  12. You're so right it's just bad manners, especially if it's for a ticketed event where time is of the essence!! #DreamTeam

    ReplyDelete
  13. My mummy chases RSVPs to parties all the time and it makes her so mad. We're yes people and rather let someone know straight away x #TwinklyTuesday

    ReplyDelete
  14. I agree and i get really annoyed when i don't get a prompt response. Thank you for sharing with #StayClassyMama

    ReplyDelete