Thursday 18 May 2023

Parachutes

 I came across this on twitter. Children's author Kelly Yang taking on Scholastic in regards to standing up for authors in the US to the deranged book banning frenzy currently going on in many states.  I then read this article and was perplex that some how learning about and acknowledging racism was somehow also something children needed to be protected from.

I am white and not LBGT but I understand that reading about people and expereinces different to my own help me grow, or at least broaden my views and understanding of how the world works. And as Kelly Yang points out, being 'seen' is something valuable when you are in a minority.

I read Parachutes - picked at random - as I'd never read any of her books. It is a children's book (teen) but it dealt with some tough issues (sexual assault as well as racism). It was uncomfortable but I thought handled with great care. I see no reason why this book would be inappropriate for teenagers. 

I will track down her new book, Finally Seen as I think she has quite a lot to say, and she writing from expereinces I know nothing about or have never given thought to. As Stephen King says' "if they ban a book in your school, haul your ass to the nearest bookstore or library ASAP and find out what they don't want you to read."

This is a clip on the expereince and process that lead to Finally Seen being written.

Parachutes is written at a level for teens, so expect that but it's written from alternating points of view, and covers a range of issues - different wealth status, difference in race, power imbalance with teachers and students, pressures to have sex and of course, sexual assault.

COVID has pretty much stopped me reading at all this month, but fingers crossed I can resume soon enough. And by coincidence, yestersday I watched an episode of Blackish called ToysRn'tUs that also deals on lack of representation. Worth a watch.


Linking with #Weekendcoffeeshare #MonthlyBookworms and #WOYBS


loopyloulaura

My Random Musings

15 comments:

  1. Hi Lydia there seems to be so much 'book banning' happening at the moment and that's not good. Freedom of speech as well as the right to read and make our decisions is vital. If we all think exactly the same what a narrow existence we would have. Thank you for writing this post and sharing with us at WOYBS. I'm sorry to hear you've had COVID and hope you are on the mend. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with you about the bannings going on. But what these banners don't realize is that when they ban books it makes people want to read those books! Case in point: Maus. I had never heard of it before some school district in Tennessee banned it. And what happened after it was banned? Amazon sales went through the roof for this book! Including my purchase. And I'm grateful I read the two books even if it's a difficult subject. Nice summary here and thank you for sharing. 👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Maus. I read it when I won the Puylitzer. I have a huge life lesson from it - "Why not me?" It stopped me giving up without trying because I won't get anywhere - like his Dad I think 'well, someone has to X, so why not me?" He came out last year for our writers festival to talk about the ban. So ridiculous. Great talk - I will see if it was online somewhere and share.

      Delete
    2. It's not there, but basically his point was, when a book is banned, it's rarely for the reason they give. (In Maus's case nudity - of his dead mother in line drawing). He says look at who's story/voice they are trying to silence, whose narrative they are trying to rewrite....(one of the banning committee even said to him 'I have nothing against the Holocaust. I love the Holocaust!' ?????

      Delete
  3. That is pretty much how I handle banned books; if they don't want me to read it then I MUST! LOL. I don't get book banning at all beyond say middle school (and I get some PARENTS not wanting their kids to read sexually explicit things in high school years) but I don't understand why so many historical or book dealing with racial tension or different views of opinion that could spark great conversations are banned. One article I read recently said that Charlotte's Web was banned from one school-- that blew my mind! It was one of my all time favorite books in elementary school.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why was Charlotte's Web banned? I can't even imagine....off to google

      Delete
  4. Hi, Lydia - Thank you for joining us at What's On Your Bookshelf with this very important post. I totally do not understand the logic of book banning and cannot believe it is happening in 2023! Like the others, when a book is banned that simply makes me want to read it more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My blood boils at the amount of banning and "rewriting" happening at present. I agree with the sentiment about getting to the bookshop and reading what they don't want you to. This is 2023 for goodness sake yet sometimes it feels as though we're going backwards.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is a terrible thing to ban books for any reason, but particularly where it is stopping young people learning from different ways of life. Like you, I've read about the experiences of people of different races and LGBTQ people through reading widely and it is a valuable (as well as enjoyable!) thing to do. This sounds like a good read for young people.
    Popping over from Bookworms Monthly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The current book bans are both mind boggling and terrifying for me. I believe we should all have access to information and should be able to make our own choices about it. My youngest daughter and I talked about the bans and looked at our own bookshelves in relation to some of the Lists, discussing why *someone* might not think each book appropriate. Right now she just laughs and shakes her head at the silliness of it all while I wonder how far all of this will go. I'm with King, though, give me all the banned books ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I too am concerned with book bannings and wonder what they actually achieve? Thanks for joining us with your post Lydia.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a great book for diversity #dreamteam

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope you are feeling better soon. It sounds like a book I've just recently read (Also a teen book) we should give these books a chance and I certainly don't agree with banning.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh gosh yes. I've heard a lot about these bans. It's not a great time for inclusion and diversity in certain areas of the world for both the reader and the author. This YA (young adult) book sounds like a terrific read though. Thank you for joining us for the #DreamTeam xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would definitely listen to Stephen King! I can't believe in this day and age they are banning books! Thanks for linking up with #DreamTeam

    ReplyDelete