Wednesday 1 November 2023

“Magic, madam, is like wine and, if you are not used to it, it will make you drunk.” ― Susanna Clarke

A fact that surprises many people that know me, is that I love magic. Not just like it a bit, LOVE it. I always have. I grew up watching the David Copperfield Hour (whatever it was called) with my Dad on a Sunday afternoon. I go to magicians when I can, and used to drag the kids along but they did not get under the spell of it as I did. 

I do squeal like Lucille Bluth, and I can't control it. At the Museum of Magic, when I bought the tickets, the guy handed me my change which I felt in my hand but it then disappeared. I squealed so loudly he drew back in fright. He then said "Do you want me to do it again?" and when I nodded enthusiastically he said "No, you get too excited".

(For those that don't know what I mean, here's Lucille doing her thing)

The other night I went to these Magicians - they were at the Chippo Hotel. If you get a chance to see them, go. They're so much fun. They've one more show on the 20 Nov. 

One of them opened with saying how there were two types of people at magic shows - those that love magic, they don't care how it's done, the love how it makes them feel. And the other type of people are their plus ones. It was the first time I thought about it but the reason I love magic is because of how it makes me feel. Physically my eyes really do widen in wonder, I'm squealing in delight in voluntarily. A smile creeps onto my face in anticipation and it grows wider as the trick progresses. There's a feeling in my chest that's hard to explain, but joyful elation has to be close. 

I do dread being called on stage because I know I'll squeal and embarrass myself. No matter how hard I try to contain it. I was at this show, and I did because the trick was AMAZING. 

I went with friends and we all left in giddy, gleeful delight, chattering animatedly in the cab home. So I do agree with the author in the title quote, it makes you feel drunk (in a good way). 

 “Children see magic because they look for it.” – Christopher Moore

And maybe we need to more often too.


The images are not from the Magic show but from Atmospheric Memory at the Powerhouse museum (which ends Nov 5)

Linking with #Inspirememonday because that feeling is very inspiring. #WordlessWednesday #KeithsRamblings #WeekendinB&W &

#WednesdayWords&Whimsy #TheRandom


esmesalon senior salon pitstop







14 comments:

  1. Hope there is some magic that can stop all the wars!

    ReplyDelete
  2. these photos are very interesting. i went to the atmospheric memories link and the exhibition seems to be worth a visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really fascinating. I like installations that envelope you.

      Delete
  3. Awesome magic photos ~ thanks ~ Did you ever hear of Le Grand David's magic shows in Beverly in the 1990's ??? They were awesome ~

    Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  4. These photos are interesting. And yes, magic is much needed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing your links with us at #286 SSPS Linky. See you again next week and just wanted to let you know that you're also welcome to come and linkup weekly with our #WordlessWednesday feature. Thanks for showcasing our SSPS logo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looking for magic is a great way to live! We need more of it Lydia.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do enjoy magic, Lydia. I haven't been to a show in a while and need to rectify that. As you pointed out, we could all use a little more magic in our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always look for magic. We can't stop looking for magic.

    Thank you for joining the Wordless Wednesday Blog Hop.

    Have a fabulous Wordless Wednesday. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Lydia, love your description of how magic makes you feel. After reading that - yes you need to watch more of it! I must admit I enjoy magic too but rarely see any magic shows! Love that squeal of Lucille Bluth's! lol Thanks for linking up with #WWWhimsy Enjoy the rest of the week and have a fabulous weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. that's interesting - I have never been a fan of magic. I think i just dislike being fooled; tricks are just not my thing:) Good for you tho. Whatever makes you happy I reckon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hope my comment wasn't too negative #WWWhimsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries at all! As the magician said, everyone else is there as a plus 1 - ha!

      Delete