Wednesday 15 November 2023

November Reading

This month I revisited The Honorary Counsel by Graham Greene. Such a great book. Greene writes the most likeable unlikeable characters, which makes it emotionally confusing for the reader as events unfold. I love it. More indicative of his expert mastery of words & creation, I felt both panic and became teary in parts, which is truly amazing as I knew how the book ends. I think the Quiet American is the better book but I really enjoyed The Honorary Counsel too.




I read Tomorrow & Tomorrow & Tomorrow on a few friends recommendation. It was ok. I'm sort of amazed how much the people that loved it, loved it. It's interesting and covers a lot of new subject matter for the type of book it is, so I liked that. And with gamers in the house, it was interesting to get more insight on that world from a different angle.





 

Still going with How to Be A Woman by Caitlin Moran. I've read two of her fiction books before (here & here), but this is more memoir and feminism. I'm enjoying it, and I like books that make me think about things. This covers a lot of what we just accept without ever thinking about.. It is, of course very light hearted and funny too. Good entertaining stuff!

So short and sweet again. Not a lot of time to read at the moment.

What's been on your bookshelf?

Linking with

13 comments:

  1. Hi, Lydia - Thank you for joining us for #WOYBS. Caitlin Moran's book caught my attention. I am off right now to see if our local library has a copy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Graham Greene is on my list of ‘not read’ authors - going to rectify this next year. Thanks for reminding me.
    Cathy #WOYBS

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed Tomorrow, Tomorrow, Tomorrow but I can't say I LOVED it. I did think it was a very original story and concept and one that I enjoyed listening to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't love it either. I'm sort of amazed at the people I know who did, as I wouldn't have even thought it was their sort of thing. I did think it was interesting tho, and quite ambitious creatively. And that does give it more appeal to me.

      Delete
  4. The only Greene book I've read was The End of The Affair, but The Quiet American has been on my list for ages... Thanks for linking up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read the end of the affair in my late teens and I cried full tears on the train into the city. It was quite extraordinary (and then hated the second half of the book and thought it was stupid.) I do wonder about going back to it...

      Delete
  5. The Caitlin Moran book sounds interesting Lydia, thanks for joining us for #WOYBS this month, it's always great to see what others are reading!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're the first person I've come across who has said that Tommorow and Tomorrow and Tomorrow is just OK! I must admit I loved it, despite knowing absolutely nothing about gaming.
    I'm glad you're enjoying the Caitlin Moran. I love her writing and have been to see her speak a couple of times. She's very funny in real life too!
    Popping over from Book Worms Monthly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, the people that recommended it to me all loved it. Bit jealous you've met Moran. She's fab.

      Delete
  7. Hi Lydia. I think I'd enjoy the Catlin Moran book, so it's going on my list. I've heard a bit of talk about Tomorrow and Tomorrow and Tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I actually enjoyed Tomorrow x3 because of the gaming aspect, the story itself was quite mediocre if a little bittersweet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree the different voices and the entry into games made it more interesting

      Delete
  9. I've heard a lot of good things about "Tomorrow, Tomorrow, Tomorrow" but I've never been a gamer which may deter me. I'm not sure if I would get the references.

    ReplyDelete