Friday 18 August 2023

What's on my bookshelf - August


I thought this was due next Friday so clearly getting all my dates mixed up. A quick sum up of what I've been reading.



I am currently reading How to build a girl. It's the book that preceded How to Be famous, which I found hilarious (and sad). I'm only 100 pages in but it's made me laugh out loud more than a few times. Easy (kinda junkie) read - great holiday book. Perfect for me right now. 



Eiger Dreams. Is a collection of essays on Mountaineering and Rock Climbing. I had this odd moment where I realised I don't actually like rock climbing as a sport, I think it's unnecessarily dangerous and yet I've read a LOT of books about it. And I do enjoy books about it. What on earth is that about? I've now read every book Krakauer has written. While this is not a must read, I did still enjoy it. (Especially for the mention of one of the Dakar drivers I used to follow, Isabelle Patissier. I didn't realise she was a famous rock climber but the description of her incident in the book sent me on a google search for footage. I really enjoyed these essays though they confirm my opinion that it is a dangerous and very unfun pastime.




We are reading A Room Made of Leaves for book club. When I started it, I didn't think I'd like it but I'm really into it now. It is a fictional Elizabeth Macarthur telling of her marriage to John Macarthur and life in the colony. She is a very likeable women stuck in the constraints of her time and history. It's an interesting way to think about that time in history. A friend did not enjoy it and I can't fathom why. I'm quite keen to see what the book club thinks. I tend to not enjoy this kind of historical period so I feel she's done a great job to woo me over (I'm 1920's on please kind of gal). 



What's have you been reading?


Lining with #TrafficJamreboot #SeniorSalonPitstop #MonthlyBookworms #FriendshipFriday and #WOYBS

My Random Musings



loopyloulaura
esmesalon senior salon pitstop

22 comments:

  1. Hi, Lydia - Thank you for joining us for #WOYBS. I haven't (yet) read Eiger Dreams (although I am sure we have a copy somewhere on our unwieldy upstairs bookshelf). Years ago, I read 'Into the Wild.' So powerful! That book still haunts me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, he's very good. I found Into Thin Air fascinating and have read a number of the other books by people there. I have Anatoli's on the shelf but yet to read...

      Delete
  2. Hi Lydia I have A Room made of leaves downloaded and should read it as I just finished Homecoming by Kate Morton and loved it. Thanks for joining in at #WOYBS even though you thought you had a week up your sleeve before link up day :) x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the sound of A Room Made of Leaves. Kate Grenville is sometimes too literary for me, but I'm fascinated by Elizabeth Macarthur.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one is def not literary and almost a little 'junk'y (easy ye olde chick lit style, if you get what I mean, but with some historical substance)

      Delete
  4. Ooh, a new Jon Krakauer! My idea of outdoor adventure is a national park visitor center, but I love his books. Adding it to my TBR in 3... 2... 1

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for sharing our SSPS logo here and letting your followers know where you hang out and party and sharing your links with us at #275 SSPS Linky. See you again next week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My husband and I are like that with watching rock climbing movies and documentaries! I think it's such a crazy sport and I could never ever attempt it myself but I do find it fascinating. I guess I just don't understand what compels anyone to think "hey, let's climb that!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. I get into full Mum mode and think 'Don't do that. It's too dangerous' and tut tut away at their decisions....

      Delete
  7. I actually quite like the idea of A Roomful of leaves, one for my tbr pile I think. I'm not sure I'd be into anything rock climbing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Interesting selection of reads. On the rock climbing theme, I used to do the Britmums Book Club reads and one month it was "Above All Things". I enjoyed that but wouldn't have chosen it voluntarily. Popping by via #BookWormsMonthly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There seem to be a few with that title but I'm guessing the one about George mallory? Sounds interesting.Esp from his wife's perspective. Will check out

      Delete
    2. Yes Above All Things by Tanis Rideout about George Mallory. Here is my review https://blogmumjd.wordpress.com/2014/05/20/britmums-book-club-review-above-all-things-by-tanis-rideout/

      Delete
  9. I read How to Build a Girl a few years ago when it was first published. It was a fun read and I enjoyed How to be Famous too. I've never heard of A Room Made of Leaves, but it sounds like the sort of book I would enjoy.
    Popping over from Book Worms Monthly.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I need some book recommendations to download to my kindle, so thanks for sharing your bookshelf#dreamteam

    ReplyDelete
  11. A Room Made of Leaves looks very interesting to me, but I gravitate towards historical fiction prior to the 1900s.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have had writing a book review post on my to-do list all summer. Maybe I will finally get it done in the next day or two. I am such a slow reader that I could go six months and only have a couple of books to share!!

    I am interested in The Room of Leaves. Saved it to my book club Pinterest board. Now off to read a synopsis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooops, mistyped the title A Room Made of Leaves... sounds very good. I just finished The Bird Hotel. Something about your book reminds me of that book. Rich, detailed descriptions, a memoir of sorts. Great read.

      Delete
  13. I've got How To Be a Woman by Caitlin Moran but I haven't read it yet. I'm currently in the middle of Brit(ish) by Afua Hirsch. I got back into the habit of reading daily but have fallen out of it these last few weeks. I must make time, even if it's only ten minutes a day. Thanks for joining in the Weekend Traffic Jam link up!

    Emma xxx
    www.style-splash.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm curious about what made you first start getting into books about rock climbing? were you thinking of trying it? Seems a bit of a niche subject

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quite by accident. I did Into Thin Air for bookclub but I noticed some things didn't make sense so started investigating and then it just sort of rolled on from there....No, never been interested - always thought it was stupidly dangerous. Tho I am going indoor rock climbing tonight but that's because they have the wall where you play pong on it with your climbing moves.

      Delete