Thursday 24 August 2023

What's be on your calendar -Dumplings With an Artist


Last night the Wednesday Club headed off to Passage gallery for view an art installation, listen to a talk by the artist and then have some dumplings for dinner.

It's a small gallery in Haymarket and they hold this each month. The art work is a whole room installation. The dinner was more than just dumplings, it was a whole feast and it was interesting to sit down with strangers and make conversation (a lot about art and science, due to the nature of the talk and the art. And because from what I could tell, we were the only people that weren't artists).




The work we saw was by Michaela Gleave  and she explained a little about her life in terms of learning about science as a child and that scientists still don't know what makes up approx 80% of all matter and 20% of all energy in the Universe today and so the art work was in ratios of 80/20. There was talks of cracks in the universe and schisms in reality (one of my friends and I discovered we both still looked for them - mine in that Alice in Wonderland/Dispatches for Elsewhere vibe and hers more sci-fi oriented, into another universe or reality.) One person made a comment that the artists interest in science was like that of the 19th century's view where science was exciting and full of wonder. I really liked that point because science is exciting and we seem to think of it as boring. Science is beautiful and wonderous and discovery (even just when you learn of it for the first time) is exciting and energising.




We left the dinner bubbling with enjoyment, all a little surprised at what a successful excursion it had been. We had been given fortune cookies from another art exhibition that had been tinkered with to be sayings set to music. Mine was an easy one....








When we arrived we had looked at the work and then chatted on the balcony waiting for the talk over a drink. After the talk, we looked at the work again and it looked completely different. After hearing how it came together and the meaning of the components and the person history and thoughts shaping it, we saw it with completely new eyes. I was taken aback. I loved that. We see but don't really see a lot of the time. As a child, I had a book called "Look Again" where you would look at an art work and then look again to see tiny details you missed. It was a really great reminder that what we see is often only a fraction of what is there.



They hold the dinner once a month, with each new installation. It is well worth attending. Follow the Passage gallery here. They also advertise their Dumplings with an artist events on Insta so you can follow here.

There is another talk at the library with Michaela Gleave  - tickets here.









Linking with #WeekendCoffeeShare #WWandPics #WWOT #SundayBest  #BlueMonday #WBOYC





17 comments:

  1. great work of artist....

    # Thank you to come and comment on my post

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fascinating installation. What was the object according to the artist? Looks like a journey of life with all the obstructions in the universe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a fun and interesting time indeed! Science used to bore me as a teen (as did most academic things unfortunately) but it fascinates me now (as do a lot of things now!!). I can imagine that viewing the exhibition before the talk by the artist and then viewing it again after her talk would have been very different. The second viewing would be so much more informed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an interesting exhibition and yes Science can be interesting and fascinating. You mention the Haymarket which brings back memories of me growing up in Sydney in the 50s/60s/70s. I'm sure the area has changed since those days. I know where my Dad grew up in Woolloomooloo is totally different and much more exclusive these days. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it would look different but I think it might still 'feel' the same. I did feel we were very far away even though I live very close by and go past it a lot (walking through to somewhere).

      Delete
    2. Hi Lydia back again to say thank you for linking up with us at #WBOYC and another opportunity for me to feast on Sydney. x

      Delete
  5. What a delightful evening down to the artistic, song lyric fortunes!! Big Alice fan here, I used to love to look into the 3-sided dressing room mirrors for that otherworld Alice visited.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love this comment. I like that there are more of us that did this than we realised.

      Delete
  6. It sounds fabulous Lydia - stretching your mind, but also entertaining your senses with something different and great food and conversation included in the package. I'm still a little in awe of our amazing world and how it all works so intricately - maybe that's why I'm a bit of a fan of Intelligent Design.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Food for belly and food for thought - it sounds like the perfect evening. Anything with dumplings gets my vote!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds like a fabulous evening. I love that after the discussion, the artwork looked different. Science and art truly are fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  9. 'Dumplings with an Artist' sounds like an amazing event. I am off to check out their Instagram right now!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an interesting life you lead...and I applaud you for all the ways in which you nourish your body and soul. Thank you for sharing your blog post this week at Denyse’s Words and Pics for #WWandPics. I look forward to seeing you next Wednesday if you choose to add a post. Warm wishes and appreciation from Denyse.

    ReplyDelete
  11. How interesting Lydia, I love how you venture out and explore new things like this- and then share with us! Thanks for joining us for WBOYC.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great post; thanks for sharing. The pictures in that greyish-blue tone are really neat.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That sounds fantastic! I love how you find things like this, but it sounds right up my alley - dumplings and art.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Interesting concept. Thanks for taking part in the "My Sunday Best" meme.

    ReplyDelete