Sunday 6 August 2023

World Cup Season

For a month, the city has been decorated with soccer images and the pubs full of people watching games.








I finally got myself to a game and it was so fun. Even with a big margin we were on the edge of our seats (and in true Australian form, going for the under dogs. For those of you overseas, Australians love the loser for some reason...).

It was fabulous and I'm trying to get tickets to a game once my husband gets back so he can expereince some of the excitement.

It was also my first expereince to the new stadium, and while we were up in the roof, they were still 'good' seats so well done to the architect of that.


France won with ease but Panama put up a fight scoring 3 goals, and the players charmed the crowd. France kicked 6 home with ease, so looking forward to their next game as their skills are wild. 




The big winner is Sydney, and the other host cities, no doubt. (The big loser is Channel 7 with the worst free to air rights - SBS is so much better for getting people watching).



















25 comments:

  1. Nice post and photos I hope you get the tickets 👍

    Have a stadiumtastic week :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful post. My son and family are in Australia for two games. They are basing in Sydney but visiting the Barrier Reef for a couple of days, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great shots. I have tickets for the match on Saturday night.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember watching a World Cup on TV years ago (when our son was a teenager) and being amazed at how there were so few goals - and the crazy excitement when one finally got scored! And SO many misses!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been trying to watch it on TV here in the states. What an amazing thing to be part of.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you had a good time! Aloha!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great event. In person it would be magic for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh wow! We've been watching on the telly and the atmosphere looks amazing. Australia and New Zealand have been wonderful hosts - hasn't it been a fab tournament?

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is the post for my son. He's a huge soccer fan!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So pleased you got to go to a game Lydia, it's been wonderful watching the women play and to see all the reactions for the Matildas! The whole atmosphere is amazing! You're right Sydney has been the winner :) #wwandPics

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's been wonderful having the World Cup and Australia getting behind Women's sport. Great you could get to a game Lydia and thanks for taking us with you through your post. #wwandP

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your soccer adventure is so exciting. The stadium looks great and the pics are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  13. After next Wednesday's post you may have to change your reference to my link up....but first, you will see the changes there on Wednesday. Now we both know Aust is Vs France next and all fingers crossed we do progress to the next stage. Thank you for linking up this week for WWandPics on Denyse Whelan Blogs to Connect. Next week, I hope you join in again too, and be there to read my “C” for change & connection post! Warm wishes, Denyse.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'll be inches away from my telly screen on Saturday - come on England!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm glad you were able to make it to a game, Lydia. And thanks for sharing the great pics!

    ReplyDelete
  16. So exciting being able to watch the game being right there rather than on tv. I have to admit I haven't seen any games yet.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great shots! I've heard that the atmosphere at live games is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congratulations to the Australian Women-soccer-team which reached the semi-final in an amazing penalty shot-out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so exciting. How stressful for the players tho. I was a little heartbroken for the french women. So wrong to work so hard for 90 mins and have it come down to that one kick...

      Delete
  19. ...soccer is quite a kick in the grass!

    ReplyDelete