Wednesday 30 August 2023

Ghost party


When I was at Dumplings with a Artist, this party in the building over the road caught my eye. I snapped a pic of the animated crowd and it was only when I looked at it on my phone that I realised it was a reflection of us.

A lot of people talk negatively about social media and how seeing other people having fun makes them feel disquieted, but I think they are forgetting that maybe whatever they're posting might be looking enviable to others too. Maybe like me, we don't see how exactly we look to the observer, when we are looking close up from inside the picture.  I was at an art lecture, but from a distance it looked like a party.

It's not the best photo but it makes me smile because I find it funny I was thinking 'How lucky to work in an office and have after work drinks' as I lined up the shot, only to discover I was envious of myself.

But I guess ultimately that's the best way to be!

Linking with #WeekendCoffeeShare  #FriendshipFriday

Blogger keeps hiding this post for breaching Guidelines. I can't work out why and they won't tell me what the trigger word is so I can change it, as I've had to request three reviews of it this week. It's driving me crazy...









13 comments:

  1. I love this, not only is a quirky photo it's a great outlook on social media. The grass isn't always greener.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it when folks are having fun. It's a positive thing. I'm glad you work is such a great office.

    Thank you for joining the Happy Tuesday Blog Hop.

    Have a fabulous Happy Tuesday, Lydia. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I work at home by myself - that's why I was jealous of the 'office people'. Ha!

      Delete
  3. That's such a fantastic analogy Lydia - we are all living lives that millions of others would love to have - and often we forget that. I heard a little snippet the other day that said jealousy was based on desire - if we don't desire something, then we won't feel jealous of others who have it. I'm finding that more and more with social media - knowing your own life is wonderful makes all the difference.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous post Lydia! I've had people comment on things I've posted before with envy and it shocks me because I don't look upon it in the same way. It's also such a good example you've given here - looking across with envy at a party in another building, only to realise its a reflection of you and who you are with! Such a good reminder to be grateful and enjoy our own lives and that what you see on social media is just highlight reel stuff. No-one (or rarely anyone) posts day to day mundane stuff on their socials.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a great image Lydia and a good way of looking at things too. I don't get the whole social media envy thing #WWandPics

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's all about perspective, isn't it? This is a great shot and I love the story behind it. I guess this is also a little bit of the old adage that the grass always seems greener on the other side, but in reality it's greener where you water it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Often in life, things aren't what they first appear to be. An excellent picture and some interesting thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness if people are feeling bad about themselves anyway it's going to be magnified by social media for sure. I admit I was like that many years back in my years of struggle after leaving the family, Sydney etc...however, I remain compassionate about others who may be like I was but also know we have every right to be enjoying what IS!Thank you so much for linking your blog post to WWandPics this week. See you next week too, I hope, for the link up at Denyse’s Words and Pics! Always appreciative of our connection via blogging! Denyse.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really love how you've written this post - you are totally right about things looking different from the outside to how it really is on the inside. Thanks for sharing and for taking part in #MySundaySnapshot.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Food for thought, indeed, Lydia. I make a point of sitting down once every couple of weeks and writing longhand in my journal, using my fountain pen, things that I'm grateful for in my life. It beats complaining and I always feel good afterwards! Thanks for taking part in the "My Sunday Best" meme.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I was a bit down last year, I started the One Small Thing link up where you wrote about something making you happy that week and it really shifted my thinking and I really got enjoyment out of the smallest of things by really focusing on the pleasure of it. Anything from the sun shining on the dog walk to laughing at a comedian...I think writing makes us pay attention to things.

      Delete
  11. A nice post Lydia -- lots to think about and smile about. Gratitude is a virtue I try to cultivate.

    ReplyDelete