Monday 21 August 2023

Share Four Somethings - August

This month has flown past and it's now less than a month until I go to Singapore. I'm so excited!


Something I'm Loving: I was really loving the World Cup. It was great to watch with friends and get to a live match. It was also great to see the support for Women's Sport (where it was not discussed as  anything other than sport) and amazing to see out lesbian players that also wasn't a point of discussion. It just was. It would be nice if the male players could do the same. And F1, look what women can do? Half the world would get behind a female driver!
This photo of Mary Fowler in flight is my favourite of the Cup.













Something I'm not loving is that I trod on my glasses while exercising - don't ask - and am wearing my old glasses because I can't deal with the cost of replacing the new ones...I can't believe I was so stupid!

Max Frost finally released his new song after teasing us with 4 bars for about a month, so I was walking around singing just 2 sentences over and over because I didn't know the rest of it but it was soooo catchy! Please note the clip has a lot of flashing at the beginning so maybe not good for people with epilepsy or eye issues.

 

Something I'm Learning That the bank can just decide not to let you buy something. Field day tickets went on sale and I rushed to buy them (Claptone *sigh*). I got in the queue and landed on the cheaper first release tickets. My card was declined so I assumed it was because I typed a number incorrectly. I tried again but still declined. I then got a different card (even though i knew there was plenty of money on the card I'd been using). By then the first release was gone and I had to pay for the more expensive second release but I got them, so while annoyed, was still happy. That night, I get a call from the bank about a security issue. I asked if it was about the Field day tickets. They said they couldn't tell me unless I gave them my birthdate and I said no, as they'd rung me. I then had to call the number on the back of the card, wait 48 minutes to be told the cheaper first release amount matched a fraud pattern so they'd declined it. How people were ringing the bank within 4 minutes of the tickets going on sale is beyond me. We were skimmed over $17k one time (we were overseas and just kept moving money to the card because our travel money card had been eaten by an atm and we only had that credit card so didn't realise until our return) and no one noticed we were in New York, London and Vietnam all at the same time, but but $394 set alarm bells off....go figure!


Something I'm reading I saw this stat on Forced Adoption: At the height of forced adoption in Australia (1971-72), one in 28 babies was adopted. 200 babies every week. And even if you were going to be married they took the babies ‘because you’ll have other babies’. Currently 200 babies a year are put up for adoption. So a little trip down the rabbit hole found this podcast which is very enlightening. I am slightly disgusted that the people who are meant to follow the teachings of the Bible were totally okay with ignoring the "Thou shalt not lie"
commandment (
on the most basic level of their abuse).

Please note this website has a number for support if you have been impacted by this and need support. 

There were a number of articles at the time of the inquiry, like this one, which somehow I missed at the time. I am surprised this all slipped past my radar, and I am sad it was hidden in secrecy and shame for these women for so long. these women who were taken advantage of by people in power, duped by the very people meant to help them.


Something I'm eating  I've only eaten in a restaurant once this month! I had sensational lobster dumplings and shallot pancakes at Lotus before the theatre.

 I have been drinking out though, so I'm still spending the money! Opps. (Fancy Negroni at Tina The Musical.)


Short and Sweet for #ShareForuSomethings this month. Also linking with #TheRandom #MondayMusicMovesMe #FriendshipFriday #WeekendCoffeeShare and #WWandPics 


31 comments:

  1. Hi Lydia didn't the Women's World Cup, and obviously the Matildas capture the hearts of everyone. A turning point for women and sport in so many ways. The banks are a law unto themselves aren't they and how inconvenient for you. I recently read Looking for Jane which was about choices or really no choice for young women who found themselves pregnant in an unforgiving world. The book has stayed with me for some time x #WWandPics

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was telling my mum about it and she said it was really hard for single mothers back then to raise a baby so in a lot of ways it was helping some of them - but I found it interesting she didn't think it was society's responsibility to make it easier for them - we like to kick down on welfare for single mothers rather than think we should increase it for the sake of the baby...I thought it was interesting she didn't even see that as the kinder solution.

      Delete
    2. But this podcast is more about the social mores of the time and the barbaric lengths they went to uphold them.

      Delete
  2. Hi Lydia - banks and credit cards and scams are beyond understanding. My mum went into her bank a few years ago and transferred $10,000 (!!!) over the counter to an overseas bank account that she was scammed from FB - and nobody took one minute to ask her if she knew who she was sending the money to - or check if an old lady was being taken advantage of. The money was lost and unrecoverable - and it makes me very cross.
    Adoption and abortion are both very upsetting issues for me - I'm so glad adoption rates have fallen dramatically, but wonder why abortion rates continue to sky rocket. A conversation for another time.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's terrible about your mum, and that's a lot of money to lose. The bank say they'll never ring you and ask for your details but that's what they did to me (and I refused to give it to them) so they don't even do the things they say.
      I just googled and surgical abortions are down so I'm not sure where you are getting those figures from (maybe pill form?) and obviously surgical includes medical complications with birth and some still births in Australia. But as you say, for another time. (I used a medical journal for stats)

      Delete
    2. Does the bank have an measure for you to put in place to make sure it doesn't happen again? (I've no idea if they offer that with privacy etc)

      Delete
    3. Fortunately my mum learnt a very valuable (and expensive) lesson and will now consult with me before she sends any money anywhere (better late than never). As far as the abortion numbers go - the stats from the Medical Journal of Australia are around 80,000 a year - and that seems like a lot to me. But back to it being a conversation for another time.

      Delete
  3. How good was the World Cup although even though the Lionesses' got to the final, I didn't feel the excitement really peaked here in the UK. Can't believe that about the tickets - so annoying and the dumplings had me drooling. Negronis are my favourite, if you're ever in Crows Nest, head to Foxtrot for one - James' are the absolute best. We miss them so much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Women's football was an amazing time Lydia for all the reasons you mention. The bank issue is an interesting one and a bit of a problem for many I'd say, I like the example you gave of when you were travelling, I do hope the bank refunded the money!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Yes. Ironically it was a bus company I'd booked with on a previous trip in the US got hacked and they got the card details from there. We were in Vietnam when it hit. But we did get the money back after 6 weeks or so....

      Delete
  5. I enjoyed watching the world cup as well. Fun to watch with my 10 year old granddaughter, who loves playing soccer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was quite the post of updates ...good, bad, sad and all the inbetweens. When I had our daughter in 1971, I had to stay in Tamworth Base Hospital for a week before as I had pre-eclampsia. I was in a ward with a 15 yo who was close to giving birth and I am not sure, but can surmise her baby may have been adopted. I think a bit about adoptees. We used to think 'how good it was' for these people to have a family. I now think, having known the angst of some, that they can never find a completeness is life. Thank you so much for sharing your blog post for the first link up of Denyse’s Words and Pics. I hope too, that you will be back next Wednesday. Warm wishes and appreciation from Denyse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mum sort of said the same thing about 'how good it was' for the baby, so I guess that was the line put out there (and everyone believed with enough repetition in the media or society) not knowing that these young mums were told their baby had died and tricked into signing papers they thought were discharge papers not adopted papers. Or taken away and not told their boyfriend wanted to marry them. It's just terrible.

      Delete
  7. I've never had lobster dumplings. I'm going to hunt for them next time I'm in Chinatown. I really love the idea of Four Something post. Well done.

    Worth a Thousand Words

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sad. I am 80 and never had lobster dumplings. mmm need to try those. Put it on my "bucket list." LOL! Girls rule! Look at how high she can jump in the air like Michael Jordan. Holy Catfish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely!! Get on that straight away. Sooooooo good!

      Delete
  9. The popularity of women's sports is increasing quickly here in the USA. The college softball world series is a huge hit. Womens college basketball is very popular as well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh goodness, yes, credit card security is so hit and miss and the scams all around us are so wild :-( I once had my card declined at the grocery store and when I called the bank they said they'd put a security lock on it because it had been used twice for gas in the same day. I had, in fact taken a short road trip that day so had purchased gas twice, which was abnormal, but could prove it was me and walk back into the grocery store and purchase my groceries, but it was a pain nonetheless. I just wished they'd have notified me when they locked it. Oh well, glad everything turned out OK on your end this time, though I'm sorry you missed out on the first release!

    That podcast sounds incredibly intense but so very important. I sure hope those affected are receiving support and healing and maybe some re-connection in there, too, where wanted and possible.

    Hope you have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Women's sports are catching on (finally!) in our country and soccer (what we call football in the United States is a totally different sport) is so popular and getting more so each year. Our bank caught an interesting fraud attempt on one of our credit cards several years ago and now we notify them any time we are going to travel out of state. I would have been suspicious also about any call from a bank asking for your birthdate. The fraudsters get more clever all the time. Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Before our daughter's wedding the credit card company blocked my card due to unusually high spending. Duh! We were throwing a wedding, and that was the worst time to lose access to my card. I have never heard this song before but like it a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Whoa, great post here my friend! Now that food looks mighty tasty... ughhhhhh I'm on a diet... HELP! Anyway, I was really luvin' it when I saw women playin'! Yeah, we're getting in the lime light too! Have a great week my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lydia,

    I'm sorry for the confusion on CAAC. My blog is not closing. I was referring to an old blog that's no longer in use, so everything is okay. ;) Thanks for the introduction to Max Frost. It is annoying when banks decline a purchase for your protection but I'm glad most of the time there are protocols in place like this. I have alerts set on my mobile phone as well as email notification of any purchase going against my card. On occasion I've gotten request asking me is this an approved purchase by me which I had to respond to. At least you got the tickets you wanted even though you had to pay more. Thanks for joining the party, my friend. Have a boogietastic week!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lots to process here. Re: adoption, this isn't nearly on the same scale as the mass theft of Indigenous babies, but it used to be customary in the US for pregnant teenagers to be sent away to another state to give birth and have the baby taken from them without their consent. It happened to one of my aunts. Pregnant at 18, I think. Sent away to Texas. My parents said she never stopped looking for her child. Every time she'd see a boy about the age her son would be, she'd study his face, try to see if he could be hers. It broke her. We must never allow that kind of cruelty again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a similar thing here - called the Stolen Generation. But this is not race related but across the board. And our population at the time was only 12 million people. To translate per capita it would be 5000 a week or 260,000 a year!

      Delete
  16. I deal with credit daily as I am a credit counsellor and now a BIA counsellor for Trustee in Consumer Propsals and bankruptcies I see people many times who have been scammed and you did the right thing! I enjoyed the tune and what you wrote about.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lobster Dumplings?

    Oh yes please!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. It was fun watching the world cup. What a bummer on the tickets, but glad you still got some. That is crazy about the forced adoption. and in those years...wow. The book Before we were yours was so sad when I read it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh, the bank did that to me recently too! It was under $10 and was SO annoying! I am glad you were able to get the tickets anyway. Have a great weekend. Stopping by from Share Four Somethings.

    ReplyDelete