Thursday 29 August 2024

August Reading


Did a little better with reading than the last few months. Currently 3/4 through this book club book, To the Sea, with 100 pages to go. I have to say I'm enjoying it, though this week have had little time to read. It starts out as a fairly traditional crime novel set in rural Tasmania, told from different characters points of view - the policeman, the family members. It shifts into mythical legend in one of the stories, and as I'm not at the end, I can't say if it's magical realism or not. It is interesting thoough, and an easy & enjoyable read.







I listened to Cunk on Everything. It's so funny. I can't tell you how many times I laughed out loud. It's silly and not a story, so great for dropping in and out of in between other books. Listen to it for her voice reading it, as the delivery is half the humour. She's so clever. Loved it.






I enjoyed the second in the Snowpiercer series more than the first. I need to track down the next one...It worked the characters better, I thought so you were more engaged and the corrupted power was discovered from the characters point of view so you felt it more.








I enjoyed this Tales from the cafe after a break from the other two. So my advice, don't read them back to back. I've worked out they are written in themes. and this one is on loss. It has this wonderful idea that because our loved person loved us, and lived their life trying to make us happy, then in their honour, we should try to be happy when they are gone. There is a really wonderful quote that sums up the idea that weaves through the stories "If I had led a sad life as a result of my sister's death, then it would have been her death that caused it...I swore to myself that I would make sure that I was happy. My joy would be the legacy of my sister's life." It really got me thinking about how we've sort of twisted up the way we grieve and got it wrong. One of the stories is about a mother's death, and how she'd spent her whole life loving her child and doing things for his happiness, so she wouldn't want her death to change that. And I thought about my kids and I'd hate for them to be pained at my loss, when I'd really had so much fulfilment just from having shared their lives for so long. One trigger warning, there is a story on the loss of an infant child. It's not distressing but I imagine if you've experienced that it might be.


I really enjoyed this book! While I would call it a holiday read, it's not junk and it really got me thinking.A month before their marriage, the fiance ends up on a twitter list of violent men and sex abusers. There are all degrees of 'crimes' on the list. He denies it all. The story is told in alternate points of view between the couple. She is a feminst journalist who has accused other women of being enablers when in the same situation and now she is wondering what to do. I spent a lot of time thinking aobut if I'd do the same as her at times or what I'd do. Really interesting book.




My husband came back from New York with two books that a friend of ours wrote. Ghost Ship is a collection of poems and I can't wait to start the stories.


I don't really understand what this means but I liked it all the same. And I've no idea what the devil Elvis is about....


Linking with #ShareYourShelf #WowonWednesday #TalkaboutitTuesday #Wwwhimsy  #MonthlyBookworms #StackingtheShelves #SundaySalon #SundayPost

 










25 comments:

  1. Interesting assortment of books. Take care, have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the nice comment. I'm late replying this week....
    I was very interested in this post.

    I'm very happy about the contribution to MosaicMonday again, thank you for that. Kind regards from Heidrun

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed your summaries of how you liked these quite varied books.
    best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tales From The Cafe is an interesting concept, isn’t it? If only we (I) could go back for clarification with some of my relationships. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That neat to have books written by a friend.
    Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. An interesting mix of books.

    I read Before The Coffee Gets Cold and that was emotional enough for me 🤣 I like the concept though of making sure that you are happy when someone goes.

    I saw a bit of Cunk on Earth. I do like her delivery!

    Have a great week!

    Emily @ Budget Tales Book Blog
    My post:
    https://budgettalesblog.wordpress.com/2024/08/31/stacking-the-shelves-75/

    ReplyDelete
  7. When people lose someone to death, it is always something that is hard to deal with and talk to others about, especially if it is an unexpected loss. It's good to know that Tales from the Cafe might be a good book to help a person see another way to look at loss. I stepped away from the series for a while, but I may look for Tales from the Cafe.

    It has to be fun to read a book that your friend has edited and to read poems that your friend has written.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YOu do need to take breaks from it because they all become the same and a bit annoying. I learnt that last month when i did 2 back to back. I will get thru the lot but with 2 or 3 books inbetween each time!

      Delete
  8. To the Sea sounds especially intriguing. I am putting it on my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
  9. ...Elvis still lives for many fans!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That´s a lot of books. I so slack with this! Elvis. Hm. I liked when "he" was teaching Forrest Gump to play the guitar :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. interesting reading list! I like the idea of listening to Cunk on Everything and it sounds like something I'd enjoy. Pretty sure I put Tales From the Cafe on a list of books to keep an eye out for. I like the little quote and excerpt you shared from it. Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  12. A great choice of books. I've been very slack with my reading lately, need to make a better effort. The mural is cute, don't know about Elvis there either... Thanks for participating in Monday Murals Lydia.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have two Kawaguchi books on hold at the library but it isn't my turn for them yet. Great review of the books you read here.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Interesting reads Lydia.
    Visiting today from SSPS 326 #96,87,88&89

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Lydia, gosh you read a lot of books. I wish I could find the time! How amazing to have a friend with published books! Thanks for linking up with #WWWhimsy - enjoy the rest of the week! xo

    ReplyDelete
  16. I understand reading not too much of one at a time but I have become somewhat hooked ( late to the party) on books by Elizabeth Strout and I am almost done with the series. Good man your husband bringing back those books. Congrat to your friend. Denyse #TeamWWWhimsy

    ReplyDelete
  17. I haven't read any of these books Lydia. The list sounds like a book that I'd enjoy. The story line sounds interesting and unusual. Thanks for the recommendations.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I haven't heard of any of these books before but they sound quite good!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Cunk on Everything sounds funny, I've watched bits and pieces of her show and it has made me laugh lol. Looks like an all around great reading month and I really appreciate the read in the sheets sentiment, sounds cozy haha! and writing in the streets...depends what who is writing 😂

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh you have been busy! I especially like the sound of Tales From the Cafe - I love that quote and the way he thinks about grief. Anyhoo, I've just ordered it from the library so I will report back :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Lydia, I've not heard of the Cunk book but might just search it out for a listen now! Thanks. #TeamWWWhimsy

    ReplyDelete
  22. I like the sound of The List and the Philomena Cunk. I've seen her on TV but didn't know there was a book. Thanks for linking at Is This Mutton

    ReplyDelete
  23. Some interesting reads! I've seen The List around quite a bit, but never thought to read it. I'm very tempted now.
    Popping over from Book Worms Monthly.

    ReplyDelete