Friday 9 August 2024

"The way we experience the world around us is a direct reflection of the world within us." - Gabrielle Bernstein

I was at the art gallery and I saw this. I immediately thought excitedly "Oh, It's Gullivar's Travels!" and rushed enthusiastically towards it.

As we got closer I laughed at myself , realising my absurd mistake and said to my friend "I mean Jonothan Swift!", recognising how silly I was with my overactive imagination.

We then got to the front and I instantly recognised the more logical subject of Captain James Cook. It seemed a bit of a let down, to be honest. I did question why I thought there would be a statue of Jonothan Swift in the Art Gallery of NSW?


I have to admit I want to get little people and place them around his feet (though I need to sort out if it's technically vandalism if they are just on the floor and not touching the art work).

I did make this picture for my friend, in response to her social media post (In my defence I was walking the dog and spent less than 10 seconds of effort on the artistic process....but now you understand why I was only at the life drawing class for the music!)


Do you ever discover you see the world completely differently to how it is?


Linking with #AnythingGoes #Artddate because I did a DOUBLE take (twice) & #HappyNow #TheRandom #SeniorSalonPitstop 

JENerally Informed


Also linking the first pic with #WeekendReflection, as on his back you see the reflection of the world around him (the art) and of course the reflection of his feet.






19 comments:

  1. What fun to add in those little people!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And now I really can't look at this statue without imagining little people all around his feet! LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a cool looking statue! Have a great day and a happy week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Liking the statues, funny how first impressions can be misleading.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now I'm imagining it as it could be lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such fun. One time I saw glasses drawn on the Mona Lisa and now I can't see remembering those glasses

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope we always see the world in our own way Lydia. When you mentioned Gulliver I thought, yes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I actually think the little people make it much more interesting! As soon as I saw that you thought it was Gulliver/Swift, my eyes were instantly drawn to his feet to look for the tiny peeps. Everything is open to interpretation :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Haha - I love that you thought of Gullivar's Travels! And yes from the back I can see why. I haven't thought of Gullivar's Travels for a long, long time and I'm so happy you reminded me of it because I always loved it as a kid. I was fascinated by giants and little people. Such lovely childhood memories. Thank you ... and thanks for linking up with #WWWhimsy ! xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. No doubt about it, you got us all interested in this and the ideas. Captain Cook hey, not the most popular guy for many these days. #TeamWWWhimsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ironically I wasn't even being political with my preference for Gullivar. Ha!

      Delete
  11. Yes the statue really needed the little people.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good shots. Thanks for sharing.
    much♡love

    ReplyDelete
  13. Reflections of a bright and educated mind ... and stick figures are a good start in art. And do I see the world differently than it really is? How could I possible know? I do know that I see the world differently that many others and that's part of what makes me, me :) A delightful post, Indeed ...

    Andrea @ From the Sol

    ReplyDelete
  14. Relative of the Terminator 2? 🙂

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great piece of art, I would have thought Gulliver's Travels too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Certainly open to individual intrepretation

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well, art is in the eye of the beholder.

    ReplyDelete