Friday 23 June 2023

Share Four Somethings - June



Something I'm Loving
: I'm a late adopter to the socks and slides. I always thought they looked ridiculous....until I did it. Now I know why people like to wear them together. I have of course, much to everyone's disgust, upped the ante. I got these socks in Tokyo, and wear them with these totally weird physio thongs that are meant to helpyou walk correctly....my youngest looked at me and said "You need to stop that!" in horror.  I know how it looks but I don't care. So comfy. I'm sure I'm just a fashion decision away before I descend into the so far avoided at all cost Crocs....(Reasons I'm not a fashion blogger #112) 


Something I'm learning:
I've been working my way through this podcast, Formula for Success - Eddie Jordan and David Coulthard sort of reminiscing about their time in F1 and discussing the current season.  I came to the episode on Bertrand Gachot and I found his attitude to life quite inspiring. I was also very interested in his thoughts on jails and the people that end up in jail and how when they get out they've lost everything - friends, their homes, their jobs and how it's very hard to restart life after that. Even if you aren't a fan of F1, it's an interesting listen for other reasons.


Something I'm Reading: I've just started The Color Purple. I read it at Uni decades ago and really liked it but can't really remember it, so thoiught I'd give it another go. So far, I am enjoying it - though I'm not entirely sure that's the right word. It's pretty full on from the start. I'd say harrowing but the singsong voice of the narrator softens the violence (while making it worse...)





Something I'm Eating: This bread with the smokey, salt seeds is amazing, especially when fresh out of the oven. I eathalf of it in the car on the way home from the bakery! I also had this hot pot thing that wasn't amazing but I did like the way they cooked it at the table...








Lastly, leaving you with a song from Gachot's daughter Grace. I prefer the other one but it is not so family friendly on the lyrics. but if that doesn't bother you, check it out. It's a great song....however, this one has pretty pictures of Greece so that's cheery.



loopyloulaura


25 comments:

  1. My daughter is a big fan of F1. She and her husband make it sound like such an interesting sport to follow! I need to learn more about it. I'll tell her about the podcast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for linking up with us today! I hope you enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That bread looks absolutely delicious. I wouldn't mind a warm slice or two right now with some butter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute socks, Lydia! I had to look up F1 to see what it was - ha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Laughing at your socks with slides fashion adventure! I am opposed to socks with slides too, but I'm also old enough to change my mind if something is comfortable enough. The socks you bought are really cute though! Hope the rest of your summer is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those socks are quite funny, I had never seen them. I like to dress well when I go out, but I'm also a fan of being comfortable at home, specially now in Winter when I wear baggy track-suits. I've seen the movie "The colour purple" but never read the book.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I’m not a fashion blogger either, hee hee. I thought The Color Purple was an incredible book.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice socks Lydia, I say wear what makes you happy :). The podcast about life after jail is sounds interesting - I know a bit about that after working in the prison system for over 20 years. Released inmates are not a popular subject with many so it never seems to get the attention it deserves - speaking from experience!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I totally get the thong and sock thing. I bought some merino wool toe socks for hiking around NZ (a little sleeve for each toe). I've been wearing those around the house with my Birkenstocks. My Birkenstocks are so comfy but my feet get so cold so the socks fix that problem. I only do this around the house. No-one sees me (except family) so who cares!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loved the reference to crocs and not being a fashion blogger. I've avoided crocs so far too, although I did buy a cheap pair of slides for walking out the back in winter when I've got house socks on and don't want to take them off.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those socks are awesome! I find I am such a sucker for any type of fresh bread.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm not sure if I should have heard of Gachot? I like Grace's voice. A bit like Amy Shark.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was pretty famous but a long time ago. I knew him when he raced but didn't realise he'd gone to jail until last year....if you didn't follow F1 you wouldn't know him.

      Delete
  13. Neat socks. I love my crocs so I guess I'm destined to never be a fashion blogger. Relate to what you said about the book, The Color Purple. Remember enjoying it but seems like enjoying isn't the right thing to say about it. Did you ever see the movie? I meant to watch it after reading the book but don't think I ever got around to it. Hope you have a wonderful July!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did see the movie at the time but I can't remember anything at all about it!

      Delete
  14. I have been known to wear socks with Birks...but only at home! Goodness me, I am late in my reply to your post for Wednesday’s Words and Pics. Thank you so much for being part of the community! Denyse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably because I was so late to get around to reading and commenting on everyone!!

      Delete
  15. I just told my daughter about those socks because she inists on wearing socks with her flipflops. Her reply is if they don't like it they can look away. (She gets that from me!) But I tell her everytime it looks silly. I think it's neat that they now offer these kinds of socks on the market though.

    I have heard plenty about the Color Purple, but I don't recall if I have actually ever really read it.

    #DreamTeam

    ReplyDelete
  16. I loved The Color Purple. It's well worth a second read. The socks are wild. My husband probably would wear socks with flip flops. He wears them with sandals. It looks silly, but he struggles to go barefoot anywhere even in the house. I enjoyed the song. What a beautiful girl and scenery.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lydia, I so love the socks with your flip-flops. Don't worry, I'd wear them out too. I used to wear "man"dels and socks out. That bread sounds awesome. Have a great July.
    Visiting today from Share Four Somethings #1

    ReplyDelete
  18. Most Crocs are ugly, but so comfortable. In fact, their flip flops are the most comfortable of any I've ever worn. Hope you have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love Croc flip-flops, they are super comfortable and last forever. I am not wild about regular Crocs. The bread sounds amazing! Happy Independence day!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't have Independance Day, we are weirdly part of a Monachy. But hope you have a good celebration.

      Delete
  20. I've not read The Color Purple for years either, definitely one to add back onto my TBR pile! Not convinced by the socks and sliders, I'm afraid! Thanks for linking up with #DreamTeam

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your socks! I think I had some funny ones with a bit for each toe when I was in my 20's. Haha! As long as they are comfortable... I'll be there with you in spirit trying funny combo's. Never tried these type of socks with flip flops before, but I wouldn't say no. Thank you for joining us for the #DreamTeam xx

    ReplyDelete