Wednesday 14 June 2023

Tell me about ...Curiosity

This article talks of how a 3 year old will ask 100 questions a day but by 10 or 11 the child stops asking. They go on to say that curiosity rarely outlasts childhood. In a visit to a museum a while back, I noted that we used to go all the time but then stopped when the kids got too old for it.  However I derive much pleasure from it. Why do we stop visiting museums when we do visit art galleries?  



In lockdown I did a number of Uni courses online, and that day devoted to learning was the highlight of my week, each week. I was energised and charged, even though I was easily the dumbest in the class - I guess I had a lot to learn so I was constantly stimulated, not just by the lecturer but by the global chat of ideas and opinions.

When we were at Mona, I was informed that they rewarded curiosity, and because I had asked what was behind a curtain, I was allowed into the hidden salon. In Tokyo, as I recently explained, my curiosity was again rewarded. This article talks of the importance of novelty, and it's curiosity that seeks that out. It asks if we can genuinely spark curiosity, and I do believe we can, simply because once you've had your curiosity rewarded, you are keen to repeat that experience.

I think one of the saddest things as we age is that we lose our curiosity, while at the same time we don't see it as a fault in ourselves. We belittle the thing we don't know about, we stay close to home, we don't try new things. It becomes a small little world that we know, and we have no interest in broadening it. We can't be bothered. We're reluctant to try new things. It's so sad and disappointing. This is a great article on why we begin to lose our curiosity.

Curiosity in many scientific studies shows positive impacts on adaptive ageing and happiness. Bottom line is, we should all live like Alice (in Wonderland). She followed her curiosity and explored new worlds, made new friends along the way and had mostly a lot of fun. It is not so much the end result of learning but the discovery that makes curiosity so vital to our well being. 

“I could never be content to take my place by the fireside and simply look on. Life was meant to be lived, and curiosity must be kept alive. One must never, for whatever reason, turn his back on life.”

― Eleanor Roosevelt



Have you noticed your world view shrinking a little with age? 



esmesalon senior salon pitstop

11 comments:

  1. Oh am off to read the article about losing our curiosity. I thought I had but a couple of months ago at work realised I was still interested in learning about things - which is a relief. (Am also trying to think of that famous quote about being curious...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank goodness I have not yet lost my curiosity. A day does not go by when I fail to look up the spelling or derivation or use of a word or phrase-- sometimes because I forgot what I had learned the last time I did this! My grandfather never got past 8th grade but always had a dictionary at his side even into his 90s. He started work by sweeping floors but had a very successful career as an executive with a big manufacturing company.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes we were on a similar theme here with our posts Lydia. Love the fact curiosity is good for us. Your song at the end was very appropriate too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lydia - a really interesting thing to think about - the loss of curiosity - I wonder if it's because we become more risk averse as we grow older and we like to play safe. I'm busy thinking about what I'd like to dig into next, but have decided to take "long service leave" and get my op behind me before I launch into anything new. Thanks for continuing to inspire me to be braver.

    ReplyDelete
  5. HI Lydia, what a shame that by 9 or 10 we start to lose our curiosity? I know both of my grandsons aged 9 and 5 are an endless source of questions for Nan - sometimes I have to google the answers LOL :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely reminder here. I try to remember it's OK that I don't have all the answers and therefore OK to ask questions, but as an adult, that can sometimes feel daunting. Very interesting. Thank you for giving me something to ponder further :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post! I still have loads of curiosity. I love to learn! Ever since I left work I've kept my curiosity - starting a blog, studying photography, diving into art, etc. I loved our recent holiday to the south island of NZ where I discovered new places and information along the way. Can't wait till my next trip!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't lost my curiosity but I can be annoying to my husband if I ask too many 'why' questions. I am not a sciencey person at all and so I might be curious about things but I seriously cannot understand them. Some things in life, I just accept as they are and appreciate them. One is: how are colours I love so much in paint etc made?? I don't really want the long explanation but I marvel at people who can do this!! Thank you for sharing your post on Denyse Whelan’s Wednesday’s Words and Pics Link Up this week.

    The community we share is a very special one and I am grateful for your presence in it as a fellow blogger.

    Warmest of wishes, Denyse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you hit on a truth - I too tend to want the quick version not the proper one. Ha!

      Delete
  9. I used to write blog posts about ways I was stepping outside my comfort zone each month. And then Covid hit and there was little I could outside the 4 walls of home. Maybe I need to get back to that. One little effort each month. I am not terribly curious but I am, at times, a risk taker. Need to up my game again! Thanks for linking up for Tell Us About.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think COVID made a lot of us stagnate.

      Delete