Wednesday 7 June 2023

VIVID at the Opera House

 

While I've yet to be well enough to get out to VIVID like I usually do (I am desperately hoping I can make Barangaroo to the instalation in the Cutaway and the Drone show if nothing else!!), I have been to two shows at the Opera House so managed to see at least the harbour in it's explosion of light and colour.

The sails this year are a tribute to John Olsen, and one of the works projected is of course, IN the Opera House. His  ‘Salute to Slessor’s 5 Bells’ (1971-73) is in the North Foyer, so it's only fitting to see it after watching it float along the sails.

I'd managed to recognise these details on the sails before I learnt that the whole series were Olsen paintings. 


The Opera House also has a bar for VIVID, that you enter up the colourful steps. The view of the bridge is quite spectacular from the balcony.

Linking with #RubyTuesdayToo



I spent a bit of time just playing around on the steps before making my way in for a drink! 







There is a noodle bar open on Friday and Saturday nights, but alas I was there during the week.

  
The Opera Bar is lit up in colourful lighitng (with live music) so you don't even have to be going to a show to get entertainment!


The two night I went, the Opera House was really buzzing, but not with the manic crowds of some years.  



If you haven't made it to VIVID, it's definitely the season to visit Sydney, with so much free entertainment, and the city literally glowing in joyful colour. 

 If you have been, what's been your favourite and did you like the Opera House this year?

13 comments:

  1. I've never been to this type of event, mind you its unlikely it would show here anyway being a small town but I imagine if it did come here it would be in bigger cities.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Colorful and truly spectacular displays, and great view of the harbor and surrounds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful. I've linked my Vivid Sydney shots too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...VIVID, an appropriate title for an amazing post. The opera house is and has always been a beautiful and iconic building, but lit up it's spectacular. Thanks for taking me on the color journey.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! What's not to like about vivid? Great photos, Lydia. Thanks for hosting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Vivid festival is magnificent! I watched it twice when my husband worked in Sydney for about 2 years, before Covid. I saw an episode of "Australian Story" recently about John Olsen and at the end they said his drawing would be on the sails of the Opera House for Vivid.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, so very beautiful. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! That is amazing, what a beautiful display.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Opera House is always a beautiful sight, but it's even more stunning when it's lit up in Vivid colors.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved the photos I have never been to one looks amazing thanks for sharing :-)

    Have a vividtastic week 👍

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow~ These are amazing shots. The opera house itself is stunning, but with the lights it's really jaw-droppingly beautiful.
    Thanks for sharing at https://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2023/06/another-visit-to-cedar-creek-gallery.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. WOW! Beautiful light show! The Sydney Opera House is a perfect canvas for this show. I enjoyed visiting it years ago.

    ReplyDelete