Tuesday 6 June 2023

It's the little things that make happy moments, not the grand events. Joy comes in sips, not gulps. - Sharon Draper

One of the greatest pleasures I get each day is the morning and evening dog walk. I love the moments to myself and the petit chien's happiness as she springs eagerly around the neighbourhood. I chat to people in the street, smell the roses (literally) or notice the sunsets.












It's not where you go, but what you take time to see (and appreciate).







The things that I see as I walk along the streets — a little flower that blooms in May, a lovely sunset at the end of a day, someone helping a stranger along the way — that's heaven to me. - Sam Cooke




When I saw Ruthie Foster, she said her mum loved Sam Cooke so she wrote this for her. It always makes me smile - both at the joy of music but also the gift of creating something she would love for her and celebrating the great Sam Cooke's talent.

One of my smallest pleasures, or bringing pleasure to something I don't enjoy. We got a powerpoint outside - it was for lights and tradespeople but I've taken to ironing in the sunshine, listening to audio books. And just like in Mary Poppins, it's less of a chore and feels more like a luxury...or at least something to savour, the warm sunshine on my back and sneaking time with my book....






11 comments:

  1. Dear Lydia, a beautiful blog post and a great song. I didn't know Sam Cooke until now (just the name, but nothing more) - unfortunately he only had a short life, but he seems to have influenced many...
    I can understand your need to sweeten your ironing - and you're doing it in a clever way. When I work out on the home trainer in the fitness center, I firstly hear "my" music and secondly see videos of various hiking, running or cycling routes around the world on a screen - that's also a small pleasure for me, for example.
    All the best and have a nice June!
    Traude
    https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2023/06/costa-rica-12-kapitel-nationalpark.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved the music, but also the images.
    Beautiful! Thank you for sharing!
    Happy WW, Lydia! Have a fine week!😘❤️

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lydia, I didn't know "sips" and "gulps" until now. Learned a little more English again 😉. Almost everything in nature brings me great and small pleasures. At the moment, certainly also the rose blossom. Thank you for your contribution to Nature Thursday and kind regards - Elke

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have tweeted your post as I can't comment - I'm so sorry, I've no idea why but thank you for hosting.

      Delete
  4. I want a little bit rain ;)
    very nice photos
    my garden brings me pleasures
    greetings
    Rosi

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello,
    Lovely post and song! Some of my pleasures are are watching the birds like your pigeons, seeing the pretty flowers and watching the sunset/sunrises. The little things can be happy moments. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, enjoy your day and have a great new week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yesterday for me it was a squirrel in my backyard. We don't usually see them here so it was a rare treat!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Small pleasures - as you mentioned, going out for my daily walk to exercise my newly replaced knee! I can WALK, so I am super happy and love going in our NEW neighborhood to explore
    I visited you via The Good. The Random. The Fun. v. 23
    If interested feel free to visit my entries for this week: #16+17 as I would love to invite you to come and share your posts and you will have an opportunity to get featured.
    We're open Monday through Saturday every week.
    You will find the linkup information (1) In the Top bar under Blogging: Weekly Senior Salon Pit Stop OR 2nd image In the sidebar
    We hope to meet you there virtually.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful post. Love the video. Beautiful too. I'm a fan of Sam Cooke.

    Thank you for joining the Happy Tuesday Blog Hop.

    Have a fabulous Happy Tuesday, Lydia. Big hug. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lydia...lovely post...I am so relieved to be able to breathe now. The air quality isn't perfect but so much better and I too can enjoy being outside...Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful shade of Rose, Adorable pigeons. Thanks for sharing with Garden affair.

    ReplyDelete