Wednesday 14 June 2023

What's on your bookshelf....June

 A few people in this link up had recommended Dark Mode to me as a gripping page turner or that they read it in one sitting so I was intrigued, even though that's not my usual thing (see curiosity). I was delighted to discover it's set in my area. I knew the garden shop exactly even before she confirmed the location. The murder was up the road from me, I shop at the shopping centre. It was hilariously familliar. As for the story, while I sort of figured it out before I got to the end, I was indeed devouring it, and finished it in 2 days. It's been awhile since I've felt the need to do that with a book. It's a good feeling. There was also a moment in the denouement where like the main character I was unsure of what was happeneing, and I really liked that feeling. Doubt that my idea of the conclusion was right. I guess the 'edge of your seat' feeling. I did enjoy it, creepy content and all.



I also read Clementine Ford's How We Love. While I loved Fight like a Girl, I was a little bored in this one. It's different, more memoir and a look at love and relationships, but not with the political and intellectual angle, just personal stories. It's not terrible, just not my thing. To be fair, she opens with the explanation that this is a different type of book, and had I bothered to read anything about it, including the subtitle 'Notes on a life', I probably would have realised....

Not a whole lot of reading this month....must get myself back into it....Do you have any recommendations?



Linking with #WeekendCoffeeShar#WOYBS #MonthlyBookworms  #TrafficJamWeekend 


My Random Musings

13 comments:

  1. Dark Mode sounds interesting. I do always like it when I read books set in places I know. I've never read one set in my home town, but I've read them set in another places I'm familiar with.
    It's a shame How We Love was a bit disappointing.
    Popping over from Book Worms Monthly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These sound like some good books to consider reading. Glad you shared your thoughts on them. #DreamTeam

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so intrigued by Dark Mode! How funny that it's set right where you live!!! That must have been a fantastic surprise to see on the page. I'm always keen to check out page turners... they are the best. Thank you for sharing what you are reading over on the #DreamTeam xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't know Clementine Ford had a new book out! I still need to read Fight Like a Girl. Then maybe I'll tackle this one. Dark Mode sounds interesting too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am going to download Dark mode onto my kindle#dreamteam

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooooo Dark Mode looks so good!! I am definitely adding that to my list!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't wait to read Dark Mode. You made it sound intriguing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How lovely that you discovered that Dark Mode was set in your area. I've never read a book set in an area I know well. I'm also happy you really liked the book.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It seems that a book or movie is more interesting if you know the place or the person acting. Sister & I visited New York City. When I see places filmed there, the area is familiar. Karen

    ReplyDelete
  10. added to my list. I'm always looking for new authors to read #anythinggoes

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dark Mode is definitely a book I'll be adding to my TBR pile. Thanks for linking up with #DreamTeam

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for joining us for #WBOYBS. I greatly appreciate your candid reviews. This current month has also been a slower reading month for me so far. Cheers to fabulous reads for both of us next month!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Lydia, I'm so glad to hear you enjoyed Dark Mode as I was one of those who recommended it! How interesting that it was set near you, that would have added a certain frisson while reading it.

    ReplyDelete