Wednesday 11 October 2023

Campaign Season

 For the non-Australians, we've been living through a campaign season for a referendum. For the Australians, I find it hard to believe a percentage of you have missed it (at least according to the news and hearsay). For me, it's been in the news I listen to, my social media feeds, the podcasts and in the streets.

I'll be glad when it's over, it's made me a little uncomfortable, to be honest. Before I could pretend we weren't quite all the things we are. 

I'll leave it at that. I will delete anything racist or nonfactual 'facts' (and sadly, there was a lot of that floating around, I remember some of it from the Native Title days, and I'm embarrassed to admit with my schooling and upbringing I probably said my share of it or at least nodded along in agreement. That's probably really what makes me uncomfortable. The me I used to be.) 

This is not my sign but it is definitely the most festive sign I've seen on the streets. 


#Allseasons linky runs from Thursday to Wednesday each week.

Link one post that shows something seasonal. Traditional weather wise, a seasonal nature marker or a seasonal celebration. 

Make sure you link back to this  #AllSeasons post. 

Please comment on the post before yours and the host. Don't dump and run


You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

11 comments:

  1. I live under a rock in El Paso so I wasn't familiar with the campaign and voting you mentioned here. I looked up 'what is Australian voting on?' and Google added tomorrow, so I assume this is the same topic on the agenda regarding the voice vote. I completely agree with the affirmative vote on the sign in the yard. YES!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's an important issue to have a referendum for, hopefully they get a positive result but really it shouldn't take something like this to make people realize that things need to change, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty certain it won't go thru. It's been very badly handled by the govt, in my opinion. But I hope I'm wrong.

      Delete
  3. Impossible from computer to comment. Again from phone...
    I can not say I understood completely the atmosphere from there. I want to believe that everything is correct in these moments. But there are some doubts all the time. My post is not quite seasonal, but Ig really hope you'll like it.
    Hugs and a fine week!❤

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...the world is filled with racist and non factual 'facts' these days. Thanks for hosting and I wish you a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree the whole issue was handled poorly by the Government, Lydia. The misinformation and reliance on emotional value created uncertainty and insecurity in many people who would have otherwise voted "yes" in my opinion. The Opposition were no better because they politicised the issue. Hopefully in the near future we can have a better managed campaign. Thanks for hosting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I must confess - I don´t know what the referendum was about...but as you are not very comfortable with it - not a good sign.
    Have a good time and all the best...you must be travelling towards summer now :-)
    Violetta
    https://naturpurfotos.blogspot.com/2023/10/korsika-die-reise-teil-2.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very interesting. I just read about it.

    ReplyDelete