Thursday 26 October 2023

Share Four Somethings - October

Linking with #FloralFridayFoto

Something I'm loving:  With the news of the world and the Australian referendum outcome I'd be lying if I said it wasn't difficult for me to answer this one. But I had a great time at a magic show with friends (I really recommend this - a few nights left and only $25), have Paul McCartney lined up this weekend and dinner with all my kids tonight (and husband) so there's a lot to love in my small circle of this world.


Also counting down the days until I see Meduza - and love this clip filmed in Singapore. It's funny when you recognise all the places.

Something I'm learning: Women in Ancient Egypt had equality. Rights were based on class and not gender. They could marry, divorce and remarry - they held positions of power, they had legal rights of land ownership and contractual matters. 

Interestingly, there was a leaflet going round the internet of Reasons to Vote No on Women Suffrage. These included "Because it means competition with women, not co-operation"  and "Because 80% of women eligible to vote are married and can only double or annul their husband's vote". The cost outweighs any benefit was also a reason. However, the last one really nailed the fear, and people voting against human rights or helping other humans are usually disguising fear in their 'reason'. "Because in some States more voting women than voting men will place the Government under petticoat rule". 

Somewhere between Ancient Egypt and 1900s, women lost all their power and became mere property of their husbands. And yet the men remembered and feared that women might regain that power. 




Something I'm reading: The Straits Times especially on Insta. I am trying to get my SM feed a more positive place and I find the Singapore reporting (even of world events) just a little more wholesome and cheery. I started getting in the vibe for Singapore F1 weekend and I haven't been able to ditch it.

In a weird Twitter conversation, that started as a sort of joke, I ended up having to research Mortsafes. What's that you ask? The reason some graves have a cage around them - also known as Mortcages. It appears in the 1800s there was a market in stealing bodies for medical students because the government only gave them corpses of executed criminals, and that wasn't enough. The cages were kept on the graves usually for 6 weeks, and after that the body was sufficiently decomposed to be useless to the medical schools. Rich people had their own but usually the parish church had ones they shared around. I love this story, and that it wasn't thieving for jewels (though obviously money was involved). As someone who wants to give my body to science, in part to avoid the wasteful costs of funeral (my friends/kids can just have a big party, because I have no interest in anyone being sad. Remember me as a good time gal until the end), mainly as a final attempt to better humanity. So I've also been reading all sorts of interesting articles on Night Doctors and Resurrectionists and other historic burial traditions.

Note the oyster shells are part of a community exhibition. They'll be eventually relocated off a QLD island to rebuild aquatic ecoshelters for marine life.



Something I'm eating: I went to Lotus with friends and had sensational dumplings and duck pancakes. Went to East Village roof to bar and had dumplings with friends.









Linking with #ShareFourSomethings  #MCoW #TheRandom and #WeekendCoffeeShare #ThruMyLensMy Random Musings

6 comments:

  1. Not sure why the comments aren't appearing. I can read them tho....my blog gets technically weirder and weirder...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I learned something today:) Have never heard of mortcages. Kudos to you for taking the time to research (and thanks for sharing)! Have a wonderful November!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such an interesting post, thank you! I enjoyed reading about the rights (and power) of women through time as well as the mortcages. So wild! Hope you have a great weekend and week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those flowers are lovely...are they poppies? I enjoyed your post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting story about mortcages! I love your video, too. What an impersonal setting. The story about Egyptian women was new to me, too. :) Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete