Wednesday 18 October 2023

What's on your bookshelf - October

 It will be a very short post. I am failing in the book department.


I read A spell of Good Things. I didn't really enjoy the first half (I just wasn't into it) but then it shifts and I began to realise that I'd probably not been paying enough attention. After a hearty bookclub discussion, I decided I liked it. So do with that what you will....(It was longlisted for the Booker this year).









I am currently a quarter of the way through the VERY long book,  The Golden Maze. The history of Prague. It's very interesting and there's SO much I don't know however, it's a lot of little historical anecdotes and I'm not sure I'll have any coherence at the end (that could be the state of my brain). 


So what's been on your bookshelf this month?


Linking with #FriendshipFriday #SeniorSalonPitstop #MonthlyBookworms  #Whatsonyourbookshelfchallenge and #TrafficJamRebootesmesalon senior salon pitstop 



My Random Musings

11 comments:

  1. We spent a while in Prague in June,learned a lot from the various museums and from our grand-DIL and I am very interested. so I'm sure I should read this book, but I know I probably don't have the patience to do so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very long books are not always an easy read ...

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Two interesting books Lydia and I know what you mean about not concentrating on a book only to discover that it really wasn't as bad as you thought. Book club discussions are great for that. The History of Prague sounds really interesting and I really don't know too much about that part of the world. Thanks for sharing at #WOYBS? and happy reading for November. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. They do both sound like interesting books, but I know what you mean about just not getting into a book but then finding that in the end you did like it enough... I've had that happen a few times.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used to make myself slog through a book I wasn't into, but I can't bring myself to do that anymore. There are way more books on my TBR list than I'll ever have time to read, so if I'm not hooked pretty quickly, I move on.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, Lydia - I love how book club discussion (and any good book discussion) can alter our original feelings on a book. So often, I've come to appreciate a book much more after a great discussion. Thank you for joining us at WOYBS. It's greatly appreciated! <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Richard Fidler but wondered whether I'd have the commitment required fro Golden Maze... hmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always enjoy Richard Fidler's writing, so many facts and interesting stories! I'll keep an eye out for this one. Thanks for joining us for WOYBS.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've not been reading much due to illness, but I'm back again now and my pile is sooo big. I don't think I could fit in anything too taxing just yet. Thanks for linking up on #bookwormsmonthly

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's good to hear that you managed to get into A Spell of Good Things eventually. It sounds like you've had a challenging month of reading!
    Popping over form Book Worms Monthly.

    ReplyDelete