Wednesday 4 October 2023

Dead Poets

I had to write about Legacy for a themed post, and having said that I didn't think about it much, a few days later I was thinking about it again. Not my legacy but the fact we have no control over what we leave behind. Very much like that old joke about the man who build bridges and charities and did all sorts of magnificent things but then finishes with 'but you f*#% one goat....'...well here is a G rated version of that.

Kwarkito put up this poem. I always try to read his posts in French for practice but I didn't really understand the poem so I translated to English. The translation didn't help so I googled more information. What I discovered was more than a beautiful, sad haiku but a misattribution of the work of a different poet. So the writer of this work that has transcended time is not remembered for it, someone else is. Remember how I said curiosity is rewarded?

Our legacy takes on a life of it's own, out of our control. 

Linking this funny coincidence with #EverydayImages














17 comments:

  1. We may think we have control over what we leave behind, but it's not always the case. Interesting! As for the pictures - stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting post. Makes me think about legacies. There are many accomplished people I can think of that are remembered only for that one bad deed. Oh, and gorgeous skies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Palm trees and that sky is a special moment captured by you. Awesome! Live each day. Become a better person by respecting yourself and other people. Be kind.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's true, we no longer have control (perhaps we never had it before), time is irreversible, a car or airplane engine, an atomic bomb, an Internet, etc. perhaps should never have been invented? Now not only the sky is burning (beautiful sunset glow), the entire earth has become far too hot!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So beautiful and interesting too lovely skies :-)

    Have a skywatchtastic week 👍

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful photos - we have no control over what we leave just as we have little control over much of life

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Lydia, your views of heaven are a dream.
    I think Jesus and Mohammed also wanted to leave a different legacy than religious wars...
    All the best and happy October days
    Traude
    🍁🌻🍂 🌻🍁
    https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2023/10/straenkunst-und-gartenlust.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Legacy is a tricky thing, isn't it, Lydia? The best we can do is live each day to the best of our abilities in that moment.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Lydia, love your take on legacy and you know I wrote a post about it last week with my take. As for things being out of your control after you die, this is especially true for your last Will and Testament which these days of litigation can end up nothing like what you wanted which I think is very sad. x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can only hope my legacy is the love I have for my family...and friends and that they remember me with fondness .....Thank you for linking up this week for Denyse’s Words and Pics #WWandPics I hope you can come back for the final week on 18 October 2023. Warm wishes, Denyse.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Interesting story and beautiful photos! Thanks for sharing at Everyday Images!

    ReplyDelete