Monday 16 October 2023

Last man standing

When I wrote a farewell to Deep Fried Fruit, I mentioned I saw Denyse, her and I as the last of the old guard. And now it appears the least success of the lot is all that remains.

I will be very sad to see Denyse go, as I find the routine of the link ups a good way to remind myself to check out what other people are doing. I'm a bit useless at finding time to read posts on the regular if not all laid out in front of me. I have signed up to her substack but I'm not really on but will do my best.

And so the ever shrinking world of blogging shrinks a little more.

Denyse, I've enjoyed your wisdom and bravery over the years, a good decade of floating around the ether together a couple of times a week. You brought a lot of us together regularly, and friendships or familiarity are in no small part because of you and your link ups. So there's a lot to be proud of beyond just your words.


I am still going to organise that coffee meet up (I'm just a bit hopeless at the moment.) I'll get on to it soon.

Good luck with blogging retirement and feel free to come back if you find it too much of a hole in your routines.

“Hello is a beginning, and so is goodbye. Goodbye is like a caterpillar that becomes a butterfly.” — Refiloe Moahloli

The landscape shifts and changes, and eventually you become a remnant of times long gone. I am now such a thing, but shall remain a little longer as purpose and productivity are not part of my equation for pleasure.

Linking one last time with Denyse for #WordlessWednesday #WWandPics #PictorialPotpurri



and #MySundaySnapshot 

11 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your fond farewell to Denyse's blog. I too will miss her on the blogosphere, but am happy for her to pursue other interests. I'm happy to hear that you will be sticking around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful post Lydia, your friendship and words sum it all perfectly. I too will miss Denyse's wisdom and that quote says it all. Well done on being the last man standing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lovely farewell post, Lydia and I didn't realise you were one of the originals. I'll miss the weekly link up with Denyse. It was like coming home each week to have a chat with everyone and see what they have been up to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm from your era too Lydia (I think). I started blogging in September 2012. It's very sad to see Denyse go, but change is inevitable and I'm happy that she has made a decision she is happy with. I've subscribed to her substack but not sure how I'll go with it. I will try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah good, I was June that year. So we're almost twins ;). You have to stick around....I'll feel really old and obsolete otherwise.

      Delete
  5. Lovely words and pics...thank you!! We will catch up as planned. Thank you for your contribution to the final blog post and link up from Denyse’s Words and Pics. I will miss the blogging community but will always be grateful for you being part of this Wednesday’s #WWandPics. Warm wishes, Denyse.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It really is a beautiful sky and reflection!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such an impressive building! Thanks for sharing and for linking up with #MySundaySnapshot.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So true with the way blogging is going. My first blogging was in the world of making your own websites using html language...then it was all gone. My offerings along with it. Then came these blogging sites where the work was pretty much done for you. Seems more are youtubing and podcasting. Myself, I still like blogging. I didn't know about here blog, but wish her the best. Some have gone over the years, and as you say, they are missed because loved seeing how all were and up to that visited those blogs.

    ReplyDelete